Home / Forums / ePix Support / add widget to post

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Liz Tomlin
    Participant

my posts all use ‘standard’ as the format. I am not sure how-where this is defined so I am unsure how to add a widget. I like the date as it is on the left and would like to have a widget below it, however I can’t see that the post uses a side bar. So where is this defined?

The real question is how do I keep a similar layout but add a widget below the date?

Thank you………………………… liz

Hi @lizat

It will not be possible to add a widget under the date as is. This needs further customization to the single-post theme file so you can call a widget to appear on it.

Another option is to add the widget on the sidebar. If you only want the specific widget to appear for blog posts, you can add a conditional widget that let’s you control which pages a certain widget must only appear. An example is https://wordpress.org/plugins/conditional-widgets/

Thanks!

Liz Tomlin
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. The suggested plug-in is not tested against the latest WP version. I don’t know how likely it is that it will work, and there have been no updates for 6 months. I have asked the developers and await a reply. There is another apparently similar plug-in called Widget Logic. Was there a reason that you selected Conditional Widgets and not Widget Logic?

If adding a widget on the side bar it will push everything over (either right or left depending on the placement) which spoils the nice clean layour with the ‘date column’ and body that is the default. Is there any way a button can be added which can present the widget in a pop-up? I’m guessing I need to ask the widget author that, but thought I ask in case you know?

Thank you…………………… liz

Hi @lizat

Conditional Widget is a plugin I have used before, so it was the first plugin that came to mind.

As long as the widget is added to the sidebar, it should not move the content. Do you want a button clicked before a pop-up with the widget is presented? If yes, it should be possible but will require custom coding which we do not support.

Regards,

Liz Tomlin
    Participant

Just to explain ‘it will push everything over’ it is that the sidebar naturally occupies the side space and the post (with it’s date column occupies the rest. Sorry if I wasn’t clear…. like this: https://www.screencast.com/t/qfHKf8eJr.

My solution for the moment is to abandon the idea of adding the widget under the ‘date column’ and I have added it as a ‘widgetised sidebar’ which is possible in Visual Composer.

Thank you for helping………………………….. liz

Glad to know you were able to figure out a workaround @lizat

If you run into other issues, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.