Home / Forums / You Theme Support / Adding categories to a Blog Page

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • phrogg
    Participant

I am trying to create another page of posts for use in a Blog. I’ve got several categories that I want to have picked up for this page. But when I go to the Blog Template -> Categories it only shows me the 2 categories I do not want on this page. Everything else (maybe 12 categories including Uncategorized) do not show up. Ideas?

Other notables, the two categories that show up are both under another parent category but it doesn’t show the parent itself. I’d actually like to just chose the parent of Blog and then let it get all the subcategories as I create them.

Hi @phrogg

Can you send over your site’s URL and login credentials so we can check on this further?

Regards,

phrogg
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

phrogg
    Participant

I have sent those credentials to you. I have also tried adding other categories both as Parent and as Child categories and I still cannot access any of them. I can only seem to reach the two categories out of maybe 15-16 that I have created.

When you get in, its the page called Blog where I am seeing the issue, though the page called News also has the issue if I were to try to add more categories to that page of posts as well.

phrogg
    Participant

Update: I’m finding something new with this. I actually wrote up a couple new blog posts and assigned them to categories. Now when I go look at the page, I have those categories to choose from. My intent was to be able to create several categories in advance and setup the Blog page to post those categories up whenever a post was created in them. But it seems that you cannot yet select a category until it is actually populated.

However, I can get done what I wanted to do now in that once I have something in a child category, its parent shows up. I can select the parent and then put all of my posts for the Blog under that and all those posts for News items under that.

Maybe that is how it was supposed to work in that I cannot chose categories until they are populated.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  phrogg.

Hi @phrogg

You can select/create any category you like from the WP Dashboard. You can do it while creating a post, the category should be on the right pane and you can do it under the Category tab ( or directly via this link http://pureitcuso.com/wp-admin/edit-tags.php?taxonomy=category )

For the site’s front-end, you can not access any of the categories if there are no assigned posts to it.

Does this explain the issue better? If not, please send over screenshots of the issue so we can visualize the issue better.

Thanks!

phrogg
    Participant

I completely understand. I had pre-created categories and was pre-assigning them to Pages of Posts. Turns out you cannot assign categories to a Page of Posts until there is something in that category. So I created 2 parent categories (Blog and News) and then created all my other categories for each page as sub-categories. Then once I create a post in any subcategory I can assign the parent category to the page and all works as I intended. Lots of categories for my authors to create posts in and they will show up on the right pages.

Thanks for the help, things are working well now. And I love this theme…so much POWER! ;-). I’ve bought it twice and created 2 sites with it so far.

Glad to know you were able to sort it our, @phrogg

Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you encounter any issues.

Regards,

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.