Home / Forums / ePix Support / Adding content/a header on the blog page above a page config Gallery Grid?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant

Hi – I’ve been trawling these forums for an answer on how to create a separate blog page with an endlessly paginated/paged blog made within a gallery grid, and I’m coming up blank.

1. What I’ve learned is that I can use ‘Add gallery’ to add a grid gallery in the page config option at the bottom of the page and it’ll create a grid gallery at the top of the blog that responds to a maximum ‘post limit’ and creates a grid with page numbers beneath. But I’d love a title on the blog page above this gallery with a bit of text saying welcome to the blog, with instructions on how to use it/a search box etc etc. Text added via the ‘custom’ section of the page config area seems only to appear beneath the blog gallery and I can’t find a way to create a header or anything to sit above this gallery.

2. Alternatively, if I use visual composer to create a page with a title row for text and into chat/search bars, and add a ‘grid gallery blog grid’ in another row, it appears not to paginate (whether animated filtering – which appears to cancel out the ‘post limit’ option – is switched on or off), so viewers can only either see all blogs in a vast stream (as I’ll have hundreds of blog), or a max number set in ‘post limit’. But there seems to be no way to show a next page of the grid option via VC.

My question is, is there a way to have a paginated grid blog beneath some introductory text above it? Ie. can I paginate VC blog grids, create a header widget/info dropdown, or add custom text or some CSS to allow content above a paginated blog grid?

And while I’m asking, is there a way to have links below this gallery to link to specific blog categories that’ll show up in a grid on a new page? It’s just that if I add a ‘WP categories’ element into a row beneath a blog grid gallery, it basically just lists categories which link to a new page containing an ugly list of blogs in that category? Not ideal. Is there an easier way than creating new pages containing specific grids for each category?

It’s a shame there’s no way to do animated filtering of a full blog, as it would be a brilliant way to pull in all blogs on a certain category. But clearly on blogs with a ‘post limit’, it struggles pulling in content it’s not loaded in the original grid. A feature you could implement in future maybe!?

Many thanks in advance for all your advice guys,

Barnaby

Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant

Also – while I’m at it, every few posts I write on my static blog page (currently in a testing area at http://acatcalledfrank.com/hosted/barnabyaldrick/blog-testing/home/blog/) seems to start with a string of HTML about the link to the post and URL linking to the first image uploaded in the post. It occurs on around half the images and I wonder if you could guess why it might be doing it.

For example: this post http://acatcalledfrank.com/hosted/barnabyaldrick/blog-testing/hodsock-priory/ starts with the text ” link=”http://acatcalledfrank.com/hosted/barnabyaldrick/blog-testing/hodsock-priory/” url=”http://www.barnabyaldrick.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Hodsock-Priory-Wedding-Phography-0.jpg” ]

The CSS I’m using is as follows:

.page-template-blog-php #primary-wrapper .aligncenter, img.aligncenter {margin: 0 auto 0px auto !important; display: block;}

.caption.title h3 {font-size: 14px !important; padding: 5px 15px; margin: 0; font-weight: 100 !important;}

.skinset-main.nv-skin {background: rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.7) !important;}

.single-post .post-titles .mediawrap {display:none !important;}

h1.entry-title {font-size: large; text-align: center;}

I’d love it if you could help diagnose why this is popping up!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barnaby,

Great looking site by the way!

Andy (theme creator) is looking into making the Visual Composer grid gallery with pagination but as it is very complex, we will need more time on this one.

Second post:
    That is very strange what is happening there, it looks like either the code has broken, or something more than a title has been added.
    If you are still having issues, please set your reply to private and provide your URL/login details so I can take a further look for you.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I finally figured it out. You cannot have a comma in the alternative text of images as it throws the image off and WordPress outputs code instead of the actual image/text. I have removed this from the first image and it now works.

The errors in the theme options were because you set the sidebars to 0, WP errors out again and throws out code.

When creating a blog page, the featured images are the ones that will get picked up and shown on the page. I recommend setting a featured image to see if that solves your issue.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant

Hi Tom – I’m afraid your solution to the random code above the blogs doesn’t seem to work. I’ve removed commas in the alt text of both the first image, all the images in a single blog, and any commas from the thumbnail image, and there still remains a random line of code like this:

” link=”http://acatcalledfrank.com/hosted/barnabyaldrick/blog-testing/hodsock-priory/” url=”/hosted/barnabyaldrick/blog-testing/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Hodsock-intro.jpg” ]
    Becky + Dan’s Wedding Photography Highlights | Hodsock Priory in Yorkshire by [Barnaby Aldrick Wedding Photographer]

Help me obi Tom kenobi!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barnaby,

That is very strange, it was working, now it is not. Think my browser was caching your site for some reason.

It seems that it is your featured image that is throwing off the error but I cannot figure out why it would be doing that. Are your images uploaded anywhere else? The link is broken which is why the error starts with a ”

For now you can take off the featured images to get rid of this error but it is not the best solution. I will ask Andy (theme creator) about this when he is back on Monday.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I don’t think that would cause a problem no, it is usually your server that may not be able to process the image for example, but I will find out more on Monday.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barnaby,

Andy has figured this out. It is the square brackets in the titles. WordPress didn’t like this kind of formatting so it threw out the featured image.

As we are so impressed with the look of your site, would you mind if we showcased it on the ePix demo site home page once it is complete?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barnaby,

I am sure we can do some quick CSS on your site as long as it is not too adventurous.

Thanks,
    Tom

Barnaby Aldrick
    Barnaby Aldrick
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.