Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Big Fail! Upgrade from 2.8.1 to 2.9.1

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Arthur Grossman
    Participant

My site has been up and running for quite a while now.  It is here:  http://www.thegrossmanlawoffice.com.

I wanted to upgrade my DynamiX theme to the newest version, but I did not want to do it on my live site.  So, I got a local copy running on my Mac.  When I replace the DynamiX folder and the DynamiX-Child folder on my local copy, everything is updated pretty well.  I still have to make some changes to the style.css file related to fonts, but for the most part it looks good.

When I then FTP the same DynamiX and DynamiX-Child folders to my live site, my site goes haywire.  I am using an orange and dark grey color scheme, and when I upload the 2.9.1 folders to my host, my site goes white!  I am not sure what could be going on and need some help.  I don’t understand why my localhost copy, which uses the exact same files that are stored with my hosting service takes the upgrade ok and the same upgrade process on my web host files does not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am not a CSS or HTML expert, but I have managed to learn enough to customize the theme to my liking and we always receive great feedback on our site.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Arthur,

I can’t see any reason why that would do that – did you keep the theme folder name the same or change it?

Arthur Grossman
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Theme folder name was not changed. When I uploaded the DynamiX folder and the DynamiX-Child folder to my local “wp content/themes” folder, I deleted the existing DynamiX and DynamiX-Child folders first and then uploaded the newer folders. When I uploaded the newer DynamiX and DynamiX-Child folders to my web host “wp-content/themes” directory, I did a replace and did not delete the existing folders first. I don’t think that should have made a difference, however I could be wrong. What do you think?

Arthur Grossman
    Participant

Okay.  After further troubleshooting and playing Sherlock Holmes, I discovered the problem.  It was the header.php file.  I had made edits to the header.php file and for some reason, it was sitting in the Dynamix-Child folder.  It seems like it was conflicting with the newer header.php file in the current version of the DynamiX folder.  So, I found the edits I had made, such as my Google site verification information and correct link for my RSS blog feed, and copied those edits to the new header.php file.

Everything seems to be working okay.  Now I have a question.

Since I utilize the Dynamix-Child theme because I have made quite a few edits to various files, some of which are in the DynamiX folder and some of which are in the Dynamix-Child folder, how can I prevent the uploading of a subsequent, newer version from overwriting all of my edits?  I assume that any file I edit should be stored in the Child theme folder.  Could I get some help/guidance with this?

Thank you for the help.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Arthur,

All changes should be made in the Child Theme and not the core, that means you can update the core and it doesn’t affect the Child. However, in some cases like above you’ll have to update the Child – unfortunately there isn’t a lot you can do about this, you’re using a the best method currently.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.