Home / Forums / ePix Support / blog alignment

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
  • Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Hi there, I would like to make a page with a blog category ‘press on it’. At the moment there is only one post and it aligns to the far right (2 column grid) and this leaves a large white gap. How do I align to the left. Thanks Kezia

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

I am not entirely sure what you mean by this? Do you have a URL to your site so I can see exactly what is going on? Do you have a screenshot of how you want it to look also?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Hi there my site isn’t live yet so I can’t send a link sorry. unless i can email it?

What happens is if you only have one entry the blog aligns to the right half of the page (grid blog in 2 columns).
    When you have multiple pages if aligns them leaving gaps (i guess that is not masonary).

Also:
    – can you get rid of the yellow titles that appear when you hover on a gallery
    – when i choose black and white for a gallery (which i love) the images load first in colour and then go to black & white. How can i simplify this and pre-load the b&w files?

thanks i love the theme.
    kezia

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

It sounds like you have a sidebar set with no content within it. Check to see if you do under Appearance > Theme Options > Blog > Layout.

The yellow box is the alt tag or title tag set in your image. The browser enfoces this as it is a accessability feature. If you did want to remove this, you would have to modify the core code but search engines heavily frown upon this.

Unfortunately this is down to site loading speed, either server speed or internet connection as the images cannot physically be changed to black and white, a layer is added over them. The images must load first then the layer is added. Try using smaller file sized images for faster loading. Or try WP Fastest Cache plugin.

If you are still having issues, please set your reply to private and provide your URL/login details so I can take a further look for you.

Tom

Kezia Barnett
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

Unfortunately it is not possible to preload black and white images unless your images were black and white. You have a lot of images loading up on the page at once which is why it is taking a while to load each image, then the effect.

From looking at the size of your images, they are too large for web use. Some being 2500px wide. If an image is going to be used in the Fullscreen slider, we recommend a max of 1600px wide. All other image sizes should be less than this.

Try out the WP Fastest cache plugin as it should help.

The alt tag and title tag are the same, if there is a title tag added this will show instead.

It is possible to add in a different lightbox plugin but you would need to hack around the core code of the theme. As this is not a standard theme option, it is classed as a customization. You can request customizations through the customization forum here.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

thanks Tom, i will have a look at the customisation option – sounds good. can this work for galleries as well as lightboxes and can we still have the default as your plugin for ease of use?

can you change any settings on your lightbox as part of the theme?

thanks for the image size tip I am using a retina laptop so have gone for larger images for this kind of screen…

Did you look at my blog layout problem? as seen in news and press (also used in exhibitions but as there are two only at the moment this looks ok for now).

Also can i make the capital in ‘All’ in the menus of my galleries lower case ‘all’ to match my other headings?

thanks kezia

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Also I am having trouble updating my date settings to the standard we use in NZ – I have changed it to what I want but this isn’t showing up on my posts. Any suggestions?
    Thanks Kezia

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

Sorry about that. I have had another look at your blog pages and the press page is laid out like that as you have chosen a grid blog but only have 1 post. So it is still displaying it in a grid but there are no other blog posts to view.

The grid blog is not masonry, you are correct, so if you have posts that are larger than others, it will leave gaps. Normally users have an excerpt set which caps each post to a certain amount of words so they display equally. You can try and play around with these settings under Settings > Excerpt but as you mainly have images over text, it may be hard to equally cap the excerpt for this.

I will ask Andy (theme creator) about the date format.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

I have juste noticed that you are on a outdated version of the theme. If you update to the latest version, the date settings should work. They won’t however work within the circles as this is specifically set within the core theme code. See the bottom of this post for more information on updating.

Unfortunately the grid gallery does not work like that, even with customization this is not possible to do. You could create a Grid gallery instead and set the datasource to post categories and pull in the posts that relate to this. Set it to masonry and it should display how you want it to.

Because of the javascript that is used to convert the black and white, it takes a bit of time to convert it and this cannot be sped up. It is down to the server speed, computer and internet connection unfortunately.

The home page images don’t seem to be stretching, they are increasing in size as the window gets larger to fit in the browser window correctly.

With regards to the lightbox customization, as this is not a standard theme option, it is classed as a customization. You can request customizations through the customization forum here.

For more information on updating the theme, please see here.

Once updated, you can update VC by go to Plugins > Deactivate VC > Delete it > Appearance, Install Plugins, click install Visual Composer > You should now have the latest version.

Then reset your browser cache and websites cache (if you have a cache plugin installed)

Kind regards,
    Tom

Kezia Barnett
    Participant

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Kezia,

If you subscribe to updates on Theme Forest, this is good practice too. Go to ThemeForest > Downloads > ePix > Tick, subscribe to updates.

We recommend installing the theme via the Envato Toolkit plugin as this alerts you when there is an update for a theme. If you install the theme via FTP, you won’t get this alert.

You can add a plugin that will backup your site for peace of mind. Yes, you will need to delete VC to update it.

With the grid gallery, if you set it to pull in post categories, you can also select Animated Filtering which will enable this option.

I have spoken to Andy about the b/w and there is nothing else we can do.

On your blog, in the settings of the page you have it set to show full post, if you set this to excerpt it will work.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.