Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Blog Summaries- picture and text side by side

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
  • Brandon Hudson
    Participant

On the main blog page of wordpress, is there a way to have the picture and the text side by side, instead of the pic on top of the text?  Also, is there a way to thicken the border between the post summaries, or make a custom line that seperates them?

Thanks!

Nate

keyhanjun
    Participant

Hi,

Could you please post the url of your blog page?

Thanks.

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

I guess that would help 🙂

http://www.nathanroten.com/blog

Thanks!

Nate

keyhanjun
    Participant
    To achieve the picture and the text side by side:

1. open this file: http://nathanroten.com/wp-content/themes/DynamiX/style.css

2. there on line 1873 you will see:

div.container {

position: relative;

}

3. now change it to:

div.container {

float: left;

width: 50%;

}

Your picture should be not shorter then the text. Then all will be fine. 😉

And please verify that you have chosen the correct page template for your blog page because the layout of the page looks strange.

Please test it with "Blog".

Here is a screenshot:

After this follow this step/screenshot:

And finally please deactive the plugin "wp-pagenavi" because it gives a fatal error. I am sure Andy  will have a look at this problem later. 

Hope this helps. 😉

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Ok, I have made that change.  That is what i was looking for.  Thanks!  I have a another question though.  I am going to be changing the hompage to be set as where my recent posts are, instead of the static homepage.  I have just made that change.  My question is where do i go to add content to the page, such as the rotating banner, and adding content to the page?  The old homepage is now nathanrotne.com/home  

I am not sure where to go to make changes to the page that displays nathanroten.com

Also, the border that contains the title for each post is not in line with the text.  Is there a simple setting i need to change?

Thanks so much for your help!!!

Nate

keyhanjun
    Participant
    I would not recommend the idea of changing the hompage to be set as where your recent posts are, instead of a static homepage.

First is an aesthetic reason (you will loose the ability of having a nice "landing page"). I  personally do not like websites where the first page is full of blog posts. I like more the concept of "to arouse interest" first (homepage = landing page) & then if the user/I is interested I can look for more what they offer via their blog page/posts. 😉

The second is a technical one that you will loose the easy management of your homepage via  the amazing WP interface. You would have to modify the code of the theme files to tune your layout/design (only for advanced users). 😉

Please deactivate the plugin: "wp-pagenavi" because it gives a fatal error nearly on all your pages.

Thanks.

keyhanjun
    Participant

Now that you have switched your theme to "Responsive" (personally I do not like the design of this theme & it really do not fit your focus of your website 😉 ) & then back to DynamiX you have lost your menu. So please activate your menu again under: Appearance/Menus/Theme Location & click on Save. 😉

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Sorry, I switched to Responsive so that i could install the most current version of Dynamix.  I will reactivate the menu. 🙂

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Do i need to have the Child theme activated so that the changes you suggested (having the pic beside the text in excerpts) remain?  The changes were removed once I updated the version.

You are an incredible help!  Thank you for taking the time to explain these things to a novice. 🙂

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Will the code you gave me earlier work if a right sidebar is added?  It seems a bit off now that i made the switch.

div.container {

}

Thanks!

keyhanjun
    Participant

"Do i need to have the Child theme activated so that the changes you suggested (having the pic beside the text in excerpts) remain?  The changes were removed once I updated the version."

Yes, absolutly! Please always activate the child theme if you make changes to the CSS so that you do not loose them when updating your main theme because you are only editing the style.css in the child theme folder (wp-content/themes/DynamiX-Child/style.css).

Will check out the new situation regarding the new sidebar but finally your page do not look destroyed anymore. 🙂

Edit: The problem now is not the sidebar but the new social buttons which are directly under the picture of the blog posts.

Are you using this plugin for these buttons? 

"sexybookmarks"?

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Yes I am. Is it messing things up?

keyhanjun
    Participant

Yes it is! 😉

Could you please check out if you are using the most recent version which I found here on this page:

http://support.shareaholic.com/customer/portal/questions/165295-sexybookmarks-no-longer-available-for-wordpress-

It is sexybookmarks-4.0.6.10

Their most recent release can be downloaded from here: http://bit.ly/w2wq0W

Please also delete this folder in your upload folder before installing the new version of the plugin:

/wp-content/uploads/shareaholic/

Please delete the old version of the plugin & install the new version so that we have the same base to compare it more easily. 😉

Installation:

Please, upload files manually by unpacking the zip archive and overwriting the files under your wp-content/plugins/sexybookmarks directory with these. The auto-install option from the WordPress Dashboard isn’t always reliable.

Thanks.

keyhanjun
    Participant
    Please change the code (line 1902) again from:

div.container {

}

to:

div.container {

}

Right now it is destroying more then it helps. 😉

Brandon Hudson
    Participant

Ok, I reinstalled the sexybookmarks and changed the code back to the original.  I hope that fixes what was broken 🙂  Is there another way to have the picture beside the text?

Thanks!

Nate

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.