Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / BuddyPress Theme Customization

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Derek_Manuel
    Participant

I have moved BuddyPress default theme files to the DynamIx-child theme folder like DynamiX-child/members/, DynamiX-child/registration/ etc. But when the page loads at root-site/members/admin/profile/, it does not attach the classes properly for the content div.

In other words, this class “columns eight last layout_two” is not added to the content div id. rest loads fine. I have selected the layout correctly from the theme options for Buddypress. What is the solution?

Thanks

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

Unfortunately the problem with doing what you are trying to do will mean that it is not that simple to achieve.

You can use these files as a reference, but only as a reference as the files are now out of date.

Check file structure, e.g. /forums/index.php

The following code sets the layout:

if( empty ( $NV_layout ) ) $NV_layout = of_get_option(“buddylayout”);

$columns = ”;

if( $NV_layout == “layout_one” ) $columns = ‘twelve’;
    elseif( $NV_layout == “layout_two” ) $columns = ‘eight last’;
    elseif( $NV_layout == “layout_three” ) $columns = ‘six last’;
    elseif( $NV_layout == “layout_four” ) $columns = ‘eight’;
    elseif( $NV_layout == “layout_five” ) $columns = ‘six’;
    elseif( $NV_layout == “layout_six” ) $columns = ‘six’;
    else $columns = ‘eight’;

echo “\n\t”. ‘<div id=”content” class=”columns ‘. $columns .’ ‘. $NV_layout .'”>’;

All the files that need this bit of code, will have it in and this is what you will need to use too.

Edit your own files and place this code in which will set the layout.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Derek_Manuel
    Participant

thanks. Files are the good starting point. I think you should make these available in the child theme as well.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

They don’t exist the the core theme anymore, these are the old files. That is how it use to be done, the files are no longer needed.

What do you actually intend to do with the files? If you have just set the child theme up and if you are not going to modify the files and you are having issues with the theme, you will need to remove them as the newer version of the theme does not use them anymore.

If you login via FTP and remove the following folders from /DynnamiX
    /activity
    /blogs
    /forums
    /groups
    /members
    /registration

Hope this helps.

Tom

Derek_Manuel
    Participant

The above mentioned folders don’t exist in the DynamiX theme folder. Thy were not there in the first place. I’m using the latest version.

I have now placed your provided files in the child folder to start customization of the profile pages of BuddyPress. At least these files are useful to start with this task.

I need to customize the User profile with additional fields and some custom tabs.

If these files are not needed now, how do you propose customizing the theme? Thanks.

Derek_Manuel
    Participant

If these files are not needed now and have been phased out, how do you propose customizing the theme for BuddyPress pages inside DynamiX theme?

what’s the proper solution?

Thanks.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Derek,

They are required if you’re customising the pages – they used to be there by default because BuddyPress needed them there. However because they’ve implemented a new way of integrating with the Theme, they’re no longer needed.

In your situation, you’ll need to copy the new files from the standard BP theme ( latest version ) and for each page that requires the layout, you’ll need to use the zip file I provided as a reference for structuring the page.

It’s annoying that BP do not have a function to set the sidebar / content structure like other plugins e.g. Woocommerce etc.

I hope that clears things up?

Derek_Manuel
    Participant

well, that is what I have ended up doing.

On another note, let me give you a very good theme idea for free. There are tons of wordpress based websites that need customized user profiles with additional custom fields, photos and other media files a la Facebook. Right now, people are hacking around Buddypress and countless other profile builder plugins but still struggling. A custom profile theme is in order.

Thanks

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Thanks, I will suggest this to Andy.

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.