Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Can someone easily explain how to upgrade Dynamix through Child Theme?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
  • Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hi guys, I’ve made a good amount of modifications to the Dynamix theme style wise, and I remember not too long ago when I upgraded Dynamix I had to redo all those changes… not fun. I’m  relatively new to upgrading themes. I know that with a child theme I can upgrade and keep my settings, but can someone explain how to do this in a way that’s easy to understand? I would greatly appreciate it!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hey Jason,

Any CSS modifications need to be done in the Child Theme CSS. Upload both DynamiX and DynamiX-Child to your server and activate the DynamiX-Child Theme. This will import the core styling from DynamiX and allow you to add your own styles to DynamiX-Child/style.css.

Does that make sense?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Ok, I guess I have to lose the changes this time then, since I don’t currently have a child theme- all my changes are to the base Dynamix theme.. I’ll make sure to upload the child and regular version this time.

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Alright so I was about to upload the new version of Dynamix, when I saw this in my WordPress abut it

Update Download and Instructions

Please note: make a backup of the Theme inside your WordPress installation folder /wp-content/themes/DynamiX/

To update the Theme, login to ThemeForest, head over to yourdownloads section and re-download the theme like you did when you bought it.

Extract the zip’s contents, look for the extracted theme folder, and after you have all the new files upload them using FTP to the /wp-content/themes/DynamiX/ folder overwriting the old ones (this is why it’s important to backup any changes you’ve made to the theme files).

If you didn’t make any changes to the theme files, you are free to overwrite them with the new ones without the risk of losing theme settings, pages, posts, etc, and backwards compatibility is guaranteed.

I never upgraded via FTP before as far as I know.  How do I backup the theme via FTP? And why does it now say that overwriting the theme runs the risk of deleting my posts and pages!? I didn’t even know a theme could do that. Is that a typo? Now I’m scared to upgrade…

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

Updating the Theme runs no risk of losing posts or pages. It states without the risk of losing…

To backup via FTP, you can download the version on the server and store it locally as a backup.

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Ok Andy, I believe I upgraded properly, followed the listed method of uploading and overwriting the dynamix folder in wp content/ themes. However, I’m not really seeing any changes so I’m not sure if it worked. For one thing, if you go to my site http://metalarcade.net/

You’ll see that in the top slideshow thing, it’s still having that problem where the first video or picture is popping up/overlaying on top of the featured image. You can see it on the first slide for Resident Evil 6. I thought you said that this was fixed in this version, so I’m not sure if I upgraded properly. Although in my dashboard, it no longer says to upgrade Dynamix so I guess I did it right…

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Also, if you look at my site http://www.metalarcade.net , the drop down menu on the top has basically completely disappeared… any idea how to fix this?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

One more thing I’m noticing is that the related posts thing on the bottom of articles is back to showing 5, which throws it off. I had it set to 4, do you remember what code has to be changed to fix this?

Also, before I start making changes again, I need to use the child theme, right? So I need to activate that , rather than the regular Dynamix? Thanks for all the help!

Jason Bakker
    Participant

apparently the CHild theme is what I’m already using. I just went into the new customize feature you put in, and I was able to fix the nav menus. I still need the fix for the slideshow thing and the related posts though.

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Also, I need to figure out how to change the width of the sidebar. I had it before so that 250×300 widgets fit perfectly in there.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

You can fix the excerpt issue by going to Settings -> Excerpt and hiding the content you do not want appearing in the slide. Try removing img HTML tag.

Changing the widths is quite complex, you have to take width away from the main content area.

Copy the following into the Child theme style.css file.

.in-quarter {width:23.5%;}
    .in-threequarter {width:73.5%;}

.out-quarter {width:27% !important;}
    .out-threequarter {width:73% !important; }

and change to what you require, they have to total 100%.

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hey Andy, thanks, that code fixed the sidebar width. However, the fix you gave for the excerpt thing is not working. Are you talking about the keep markup thing? I’m not seeing an option to remove HTML anywhere on this page…

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

Yes it should be Settings -> Excerpt and then click on img to block images from showing in the content?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Yes I’ve done that, but images and videos are still showing up.I unchecked “Don’t remove any markup” and then checked the img box, is that right? Also, which would i click to disable videos? I also went to add tags/ iframe and have that checked, videos and images are still showing in the slider

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Ok, it’s probably best you create a custom Excerpt then via Posts -> Screen Settings -> Check Excerpt (a box should appear at the bottom of post ) -> Add some excerpt text.

if that doesn’t work, please send me your login details as something strange is going on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.