Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Cannot create Child theme

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • supriya guha
    Participant

Trying to create Dynamix child theme.

I have followed following steps:

1. Created a new theme folder as MyTheme (under wp-content/themes)
    2. created style.css inside MyTheme folder. The file contains following:

/*
    Theme Name: MyTheme
    Description: MyTheme copied from DynamiX
    Version: 1.0
    Author: Supriya Guha
    Template: DynamiX
    Tags: buddypress
    */

@import url(“../DynamiX/style.css”);

3. When I go and actiivate my theme, the site breaks (nothing loads from this point on).

My server error log shows following:

[24-Dec-2013 11:12:11] PHP Warning: require_once(/home5/ABC/wp-content/themes/MyTheme/functions-buddypress.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home5/ABC/wp-content/themes/DynamiX/functions.php on line 663
    [24-Dec-2013 11:12:11] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required ‘/home5/ABC/wp-content/themes/MyTheme/functions-buddypress.php’ (include_path=’.:/usr/lib64/php:/usr/share/pear’) in /home5/ABC/wp-content/themes/DynamiX/functions.php on line 663

I guess it is expecting functions-buddypress.php under MyTheme folder? By why would it expect that?

Appreciate your help,

Thanks

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

You can download the main theme file from ThemeForest and you should see the Child theme within there. Just drag it into your themes via FTP and everything should be set up for you. You just need to activate it via Appearance > Themes.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

supriya guha
    Participant

Done, thanks 🙂

supriya guha
    Participant

Sorry, it works but still the front page looks broken.

I have installed DynamiX few days ago and have been playing around with the pages looks etc thorugh admin dashboard (have not touched the back end codes)…does it mean when I upload Child theme just now, it doesnt have some of the changes I made to parent theme through dashboard, and hence breaking up?

Any other reason?

Look at the link here

http://www.galaxyinfotech-demo-shop.com

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like you need to select your menu within Appearance > Menus > Menu Locations.

If you have made changes within the admin options of DynamiX, these options should stay the same when using the child theme. If not, just copy the settings across.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

supriya guha
    Participant

works perfectly…thanks!

supriya guha
    Participant

Another issue with the child theme.

Now I am tryin to customise header.php. I have copied header.php into child folder.

header.php calls config-header.php to configure header, and this is where I have to play around.

CONFIGURE HEADER
    ———————————— */

if( $NV_disableheader != ‘yes’ )
    {
    require NV_FILES .”/inc/config-header.php”;

Now, I have copied config-header.php in child theme as well (following same directory structure). But my header.ph still refers to parents config-header.php file.

Where is NV_FILES defined? How best is to handle this?

Thanks

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi supriya,

What is it you’re trying to create with the child theme? The NV_FILES is stated in the functions.php file.

supriya guha
    Participant

Hi andy i am trying to customise the header to add a div there….i am able to do tht by inserting the div element in the config- header.php file in parent theme..however i would like to do tht in the child theme….

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s probably worth placing the contents of config-header.php into the header.php file where this is called: require NV_FILES .”/inc/config-header.php”;

That way there is no path issues – would that suffice?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.