Home / Forums / ePix Support / Change image seize to fit in stage gallery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
  • Nadja Wohlleben
    Participant

Hello,

I’m trying to fit square shaped images in a stage gallery. They are way to largely displayed compared to my landscape images. I tried adjusting the seize of each square image by going to slide options- extras – CSS classes – and there entering “fit height”. Still it doesn’t work. Please explain how I can make this work. Thanks so much!

Here’s a link for an example: http://www.nadjawohlleben.com/portfolio/lamour-nous-unit

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Nadja,

This is because the stage gallery tries to fit the image into the size its in so when you have a landscape image, the height will be less. When you have a square image, the hight will be more. If you want them all to be the same height, try setting a height within the gallery options.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Nadja Wohlleben
    Participant

Hi Tom,
    thanks for the swift reply. Whats the regular hight that is auto set for stage galleries so I can keep it uniform with my other galleries? I have been playing around with different hights, however it would be great to just know the regular one to have it correct. Thanks!

Nadja Wohlleben
    Participant

i just noticed that entering a certain value for hight will actually crop my square images! That’s not what I am going for – I would like them to be displayed as shot: as a square and not a cropped landscape. how can i maintain the proportions and still make square or vertical images fit in a stage gallery with landscape images? cheers.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Nadja,

It is not possible to fit a square into a rectangle and still have it display correctly. It has to be cropped. If all of your images are the same size, then you can keep them uniformed. The height of the gallery depends on the width of the gallery. If you have stage galleries that are all full width, you can set the exact height for them all.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Nadja Wohlleben
    Participant

Hi Tom,
    that is very unfortunate indeed! I am a photographer working both on medium format film and digital – meaning I have square, horizontal and vertical images in one series. I need to be able to display these correctly in one gallery and I am sure I am not alone here. I really do love your theme, however as a photographer working with different shaped images, I kindly ask you to somehow fix this with your next update. It must be possible to display square, vertical, and landscape images in one gallery without having to crop, which basically means destroy the composition of an image. Maybe you can include some sort of auto calculation (obviously I don’t know what I am talking about as I know nothing about programming). All I know is that I’ve seen plenty galleries and portfolios where all shapes of images are displayed correctly together. So it must be possible… Thanks!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Nadja,

I understand this and I will suggest this to Andy(theme creator). I am sure there is a reason for this but I will get back to you.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Nadja,

It is more complex that it should be – i’m going to play around with the code and see if I can get it to behave differently once you’ve set a gallery height value ( not currently present ).

I’ll come back to you as soon as I can.

Theresa Scarbrough
    Participant

I just bought this theme and am trying to use the stage gallery as well, but am pretty disappointed that my vertical images look horribly distorted especially when this being advertised for photography use. I have used other wordpress theme galleries and have never had this problem so there has to be a way to make this work. Is there a css code that I can enter in the individual image under extras to make it keep its dimensions? Thanks!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Theresa,

I am sorry you feel this way, we are working on the stage gallery as mentioned above. They should not distort the images, it will display the images just fine but it will set the image to the width you have set. Do you have a link to the page so I can take a further look for you?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

The update for this will be out either today or tomorrow.

Tom

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if it is related to this issue. Based on the above reply, I updated my ePix theme to the latest version today. But I’m still unable to do what I want.

What I ideally want is: if I set the gallery dimensions to width=800px and height=533px, then I would expect my landscape oriented images to resize and fit the gallery fully (assuming they are the same aspect ratio as the gallery). In the same gallery, I would want my portrait oriented images to resize and fit the height of the gallery (not the width). i.e. the height of the portrait images would be 533px and the width 355px. The image would be centered horizontally in the gallery and empty space on the sides of the portrait images.

Hope that makes sense. Is this possible to do currently? I am not keen on going through each image in my slideset and apply custom settings such as fit_height, as I would want to use this to display lots of images to clients.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I will speak to Andy about this and get back to you ASAP Nikky.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

In the latest update to ePix, there is now a height value that you can set when displaying landscape and portrait images. Add the gallery via page and set the height. Once you set that it will limit the height of the images set within it and not crop.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Gabriel Aguirre
    Participant

Hello — I must say the the theme is great and very flexible, but…like others have mentioned, it is very disappointing –frustrating, actually– that when it comes to treating photographs intuitively, it has a lot of work to be done.

I am having a horrible time trying to get the photos displayed without being chopped off or cropped using the Stage or Fullscreen sliders. If anything, the newer fields make things worse.

I am at my wits’ end trying to find a fix for this, and having to re-crop everything to make it work is a) not what a photographer wants to do if the original cropping is an essential part of *the product*; b) even when one hacks this for a certain browser and/or monitor, it goes fubar when viewed elsewhere. This defeats the whole point of “Responsive”. The photo ratio does not look the same (as it should!) when viewed on a fullscreen browser, an iPad, an Android tablet, or smartphone.

If viewing with Lightbox gets this right, why can’t either of these two sliders?

I would go into complete detail about what the issue I’m experiencing, but in my experience once a post goes beyond two paragraphs the message gets muddied. I have spent two days now trying to figure this out, but I’ve resigned myself right now with “best case scenario”, and I shouldn’t. The scenario should be that the photograph’s ratio should be 100% respected and uncropped with stage and fullscreen **without stretching** (nor, again, without cropping). For fullscreen, a color fill (default background?) should…fill…to compensate for the ratio difference.

I hope there is an update for this soon. It is imperative for a site product marketed for photography.

Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.