Home / Forums / You Theme Support / Child Theme and missing widgets

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
  • dashdesigns
    Participant

Hey Guys. First up, this YOU theme is great – really liking it.
    Anyway, up until now I have had no issues with it, but then yesterday, I tried adding a Contact form to one of the footer columns and noted the button styling was all wrong compared to the other buttons on the website, so that made me realise I’d need to do some custom CSS. That’s when I realised that I was using the main YOU theme and not the YOU Child theme, so, as not to mess with the standard CSS file for update reasons, I activated the Child Theme. Once I did this, it didn’t recognise any of my options to remove features from the header, so I had to go in and deactivate them again in the theme options. Then I noticed that the footer area had changed altogether. So after going in to check what was up, I noticed that the Acoda widgets (I’m sure there was a Social widget) had gone missing from the widget list. I then tried changing it back to the standard YOU theme, but the widgets and footer were still all wrong.

Could you help me out so that I can get the Child Theme working successfully so I can style this contact form 7 in the footer column and also re-instate the social icons widget?

Cheers guys

dashdesigns
    Participant

I have just realised that there never was a Social widget and it was part of the Rich Text widget, so please ignore that bit.!

Glad you’ve sorted this out, @dashdesigns

Please don’t hesitate to contact us back if you encounter any issues.

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant

HI Again
    Yes, I sorted out the widget part, but the Child theme is still causing me issues. It will not activate without changing the footer and other things.

Hi @dashdesigns

Can you please send over your site’s URL and login credentials so we could personally test on this from our end?

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Hi @dashdesigns

Yes, I have it added already. Please send your WP login URL and credentials so we can check on this.

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant

Hi @dashdesigns

I checked and the issue I see is that the footer widgets are missing when activating the child theme. If this is the issue that you are referring to, the best option is to recreate the widgets on the child theme.

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant

Thanks for looking in to that. So if I create them with the child theme activated, do they get remembered if I update the main theme files in the future?

Also, I notice the pagination feature of the testimonials on the ABOUT page no longer automatically changes the testimonial after the set time. Is this also because of the child theme?

Also, if you look at the ABOUT page on the site you will see that the boxes section in the “Brief Service Overview” section have lost their styling. Why has the child theme done this and how do I fix it as I am not sure what the original CSS was for that and I could waste ages trying to locate and fix it.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  dashdesigns.

Hi @dashdesigns

The widgets on the child theme should not disappear when updating the main theme.

For the pagination, are you referring to the testimonials at http://dashdesigns.com.au/about-creative/? I checked and the auto-pagination actually works.

Does the style on the “BRIEF SERVICE OVERVIEW” section reappear when using the parent theme? If yes, can you please give me permission to set this back to the parent theme so i can copy the needed CSS?

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant

Yes it does reappear when I go back to the parent theme. The site is not live, so feel free to change it back to the parent to access the CSS styling. Can you explain why the Child Theme is altering the main CSS if it is empty?

Hi @dashdesigns

Can you please send over your site’s FTP credentials? I will try to remove your child theme and create a new one to check if the issue will persist or not.

Regards,

dashdesigns
    Participant

Hi @dashdesigns

It looks a style from Visual Composer is overriding the theme styles when using a child theme, which is the other way around when using the parent theme. Another weird thing is that when logged in, the style of the blocks load correctly. The issue only appears when logged out.

I worked around the issue by applying the CSS for the block directly to the child theme.

Can you please check and confirm from your end?

Regards,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.