Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Confused about adding BuddyPress forum

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
  • Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hey Andy, I know that you had mentioned that this theme supports BuddyPress forums, but I'm really confused about how they work. I added the Buddypress plugin to my site , but when I activated it, it changed the entire theme and layout of the site. How do I make it so that it just makes a forum that can be linked to from my page the way it looks now? Thanks in advance

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

hey Jason,

What did it do? Also what version are you using – you'll need DynamiX 2.8.5 (they changed the way it works a few weeks back and I had to re-write dynamix). 

Jason Bakker
    Participant

If I upgrade to the newest Dynamix, will it erase all the customizations I've done?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

As for what it did, it erased Dynamix entirely, and changed everything to BuddyPress's theme. Scared the hell out of me, I thought I lost my whole website

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Luckily when I switched back everything was set the way it was before, but I don't want the same thing to happen if I upgrade to the new Dynamix. Any way to back up my customizations

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

Did you make all the changes to the style.css file in the core DynamiX theme or DynamiX-Child? It's going to be a difficult to implement buddypress because it has a complete set of it's own styling as well (based around the DynamiX styling). 

With the upgrade you'll just have to add your customised stylesheet over the top of the new style.css

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hey Andy, sorry for the huge bump, I know this topic is old, but I've decided to see about getting a forum implemented into my site once again. How is this forum implemented on this site? Since this site uses Dynamix and has a forum, there must be some way… is it really hard to implement?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

It's just using the BuddyPress plugin – DynamiX is designed to integrate with BP, so just activate the plugin and take a look at the BP forums on how to use it. There is a bit of information within the DynamiX documentation regarding BP. 

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Cool. I'll check it out, but I remember the last time I tried to activate that plugin it changed my whole theme, it was really weird. Do you have any idea why that would happen?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Yeah, I just tried activating the plugin again and it totally breaks my site. Really odd. I read on another site that they said you should have unlimited web hosting,which I don't think I have. Should I wait until I upgrade my hosting before I do this? Could that be causing this problem?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

I've not heard of this – when you go through the setup procedure are you selecting to use DynamiX as the Theme?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

There is no setup procedure, it's just the BuddyPress plugin that I'm activating. When I click activate, nothing comes up when I load my site. Am I doing something completely wrong?

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

uninstall (delete) buddypress and go get it again, when you activate it, you will see on the top screen (inside your dashboard) a message to run the setup!

pretty sure that if you don't run the setup procedure, your site will be confused/blank!

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Thanks Bruno, I'll try that!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.