Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / css-sprite.retina.png BUG!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • Miguel Ángel
    Participant

Why does the theme needs to download this dummy .png (css-sprite.retina.png) that weights more than 240 KB!! ??
    Things like this makes your web’s seo go to hell…

If it helps, I have deactivated the responsive feature.

Thanks

Miguel Ángel
    Participant

Hi again

Why after 18 hours I haven’t received any answer meanwhile other recent questions are being answered???

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

It is all the retina artwork and saves load time overall combined as a sprite. The file is used for retina devices, it displays the appropriate retina icon when viewed on a retina display. However, an alternative method is on it’s way.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Miguel Ángel
    Participant

Thanks Tom for your answer.

I perceive that this sprite doesn’t bring any benefit, specially if one is not using the responsive feature, nor those icons. The transfer of a image of 200 KB that one is not using is a heavy ballast, seo wise.

I think the best way to quickly solve this, will be to change that file for a small one (as I don’t know how to change the .PHP file that request this image).

Any other suggestion?

Thanks again

Best regards,
    Mike

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

It is only if a retina device is calling that file that it loads it. Otherwise it will not be loaded.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Miguel Ángel
    Participant

Hi Tom

Then we have a new BUG, as it is always being loaded (as a 240KB dead weight). I have just checked it with GTMetrix with a non retina device (laptop).

Thank you

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Miguel,

Unless there is a bug with CSS media queries, it shouldn’t load in real terms. This is the media query, it will only load when the pixel ratio requires it, if it did load on non retina the entire site graphics would not display correctly, they would be twice the size.

@media screen and (-webkit-min-device-pixel-ratio: 2), screen and (max--moz-device-pixel-ratio: 2) {

Zacchaeus Nifong
    Participant

Gents~

Interesting Topic here that I was wondering about myself. Is there a solution to this yet? Thanks.

Z

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

An alternative method is on it’s way soon.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Zacchaeus Nifong
    Participant

Dear All~

I’m still looking forward to this alternate method. Any updates?

Z

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The latest version v4+ does not use the CSS sprite any longer. It uses font icons instead.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.