Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / custom link in menu

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Bruno Henriques
    Participant

How do I setup a menu link pointing to my personal (the user that is logged in) buddypress activity stream?, like the bold part in the next link

http://mysite/members/logged-in-user-id/activity/just-me/

thanks in advance,

bruno

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Bruno.

I'm not sure – it maybe best asking on the BuddyPress forums instead to see what the members activiry URL would be. 

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

well, I've found this code:

function bp_add_my_activity_link(){

?>

<?php if (  bp_is_active( 'activity' )&&  is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>

<li<?php if ( bp_is_page( BP_ACTIVITY_SLUG ) ) : ?> class="selected"<?php endif; ?>>

<a href="<?php echo bp_loggedin_user_link(); ?><?php echo BP_ACTIVITY_SLUG ?>/" title="<?php _e( 'My Activity', 'buddypress' ) ?>"><?php _e( 'My Activity', 'buddypress' ) ?></a>

</li>

<?php endif; ?>

<?php

}

,that seems to take care of what I need, but I can't understand how can I add this link dinamically to your menu…. I'm adding this code to custom-functions.php, but now I cannot use for instance add_action("bp_nav_items","bp_add_my_activity_link"); to add it to the menu in functions.php

Could you please help? or maybe this is outside this forum scope?

again, thank you,

bruno

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

or even simpler :

<a href=”<?php echo bp_loggedin_user_domain() ?>profile/public”>My Activity</a>

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Bruno,

The only way I can think of doing this is via jQuery. 

This isn't tested but try adding a CSS class to the menu (Appearance -> Menus -> CSS Class) – you may need to enable CSS classes via Screen Options top right of Apperance Menus. Add something like activityurl

Then edit DynamiX/footer.php 

Search for 

$(document).ready(function() {

just below this line add the following

$("li.activityurl a").attr("href", "<?php echo bp_loggedin_user_domain() ?>profile/public");

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

BINGO!

perfect Andy, it works wonders, and I added the code (in footer.php) to check if the user is online, like:

<?php if (  bp_is_active( 'activity' )&&  is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>

$("li.activityurl a").attr("href", "<?php echo bp_loggedin_user_domain() ?>profile/public");

<?php endif; ?>

do you think it's further possible to "hide" this menu button while <?php if (  bp_is_active( 'activity' )&&  is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>  =  false ?

thank you

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

… or maybe I just redirect the user (as on other pages) to the login page!!!! All is well then!

thanks again

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Bruno,

What about this

<?php if (! bp_is_active( 'activity' )&&  !is_user_logged_in() ) : ?>

<?php endif; ?>

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

eheh, no, buddypress refuses to "give" bp_loggedin_user_domain() if NOT bp_is_active or if the user is not logged in.

what I will try to do next, is creating 2 different menus, one for loged in users and another one just containing some pages… I recall you telling some other member that this should be possible ( maybe in header.php ? )

thanks again for all your help,

bruno

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

sorry to be hijacker, but you call the menu by menu_id, here, right ?

wp_nav_menu(array('echo' => true,'container' => 'ul','menu_id' => 'dyndropmenu','theme_location' => 'mainnav','walker' => $walker ));

if so, I guess with the other code checking the user, I could give a new id to the call and hence a different menu…

thanks,

bruno

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Yes that calls a custom menu – change the mainnav to another name and you'll also need to register a new menu within functions.php.

Add one to this array (functions.php)

'mainnav' => __( 'Main Navigation', 'NorthVantage' ),

Bruno Henriques
    Participant

yep, it's working perfectly!!!!

I'm liking very much your "code" styling, very easy to follow, being that I first met wordpress the day I've decided to buy this template, I'm finding (the fun way) that your code is beautifully written!

thanks again,

bruno

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.