Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Custom menu w/images + BuddyPress bar problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
  • Diego Meozzi
    Participant

I have started working on a prototype site that will host the contents of an existing HTML-based wesbite and I come up with a couple of questions:

1. I must use a custom menu with a different image placed on top of each top-level menu entry. That same menu is in use on the existing site and I've got to keep it as is. Can you please tell me the best way to modify the CSS of your theme so to allow the use of different images for each entry? And possibly deactivating the rollover "darkening" effect – changing it to a mouseover color change of the text only? For your convenience, here is how the menu looks like now: 
    2. I have noticed that there is a conflict between the theme and BuddyPress Version 1.5.3.1. I'm using the latest WP version, and the BP bar only is being shown by default after authentication. I must select an admin entry from the BP menu in order to get to the WP backend, where the WP admin bar is correctly displayed – but not the BP entries… Any idea on how I can fix it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Diego,

I can't really extend my support for customisations – the best I can suggest is to apply a CSS class to each menu item via the custom menu and addressing it for example like 

#tabs ul li.yourcssclass { background:…… } 

I'm not sure what you mean by the BP menu? It seems to work fine on this site?

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

Thanks for your suggestion. I have added an ancient_sites CSS class to my "Ancient Sites" menu entry (through WP Menus page) and then activated the following custom CSS to the skin setting:

.#tabs ul ancient_sites { background-image: url(http://www.stonepages.com/images/shop.jpg) no-repeat top center; } 

But unfortunately it doesn't work, as the defaultDynamiX menu is still being shown.

Any idea? In case, would you be interested to be hired to for such a custom mod? As it's a work for a non-profit site, the budget available is clearly quite low, but I've still some $$$ spared from donations received through that site…

I'm not sure what you mean by the BP menu? It seems to work fine on this site?

Yes – because I completely deactivated it. I will now erase BP completely (also from MySQL db) and start from scratch.

Thanks!

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

OK, after a complete de-installation of bbpress and a fresh new install of the plugin, I ran into a series of CSS-related problems. As you stated on the documentation that "no support is given for how to use or install BuddyPress – the only support given is for any CSS issues.", I hope you can help me solving the following issues:

1) After the bbpress installation, a 26-pixel tall white space appeared on top of  all DynamiX-driven pages. As it is exacty the height of the bbpress admin bar, I'm sure there is some sort of conflict with the CSS of this bar and the CSS of the theme. How can I get rid of it?

2) The CSS style of breadcrumbs on all Forums pages is being erased (Wrong font size, no / dividers)

3) The bbpress Account -> Settings page shows a navigation bar that extends to the right limit of the container, pushing down the whole right sidebar

4) I thought that your bbpress template was using the rounded bars like those shown on forums @ help.northvantage.co.uk. However, all the titles of my forum section are "floating" with no other graphic element. Is that right or is it a sign that something is wrong?

Thanks for your help

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

OK, I finally succeeded in adding an image to each top menu. It wasn't easy nor fast, but it does work – and that's what count.

In case you are curious here is my solution for that issue;

a) Using WP Custom Menus, I have added a full HTML+CSS code to the "Navigation Label" field of each menu. Below is one of the entries:

<div style="background-image: url('/images/forum.png'); background-repeat:no-repeat; margin:0; padding:0; height:64px width:75px !important; line-height:3.4em; text-align:center;"><br />Forums</div>

b) If you need to adjust the single width of each top menu entry, to adjust the height of the dropdown menu box, or to get rid of the vertical divider, you can add the following CSS to your child theme (it's an excerpt of the code I'm using on my site):

#tabs ul ul {top: 109px; *top:110px;}

#tabs a {color:#5f5f5f;}

#tabs a:hover {color:#000!important;}

#tabs li.menubreak,#tabs li.menubreak:hover {background:none;}

#menu-item-35 {width:78px!important;}

#menu-item-193 {width:83px!important;}

#menu-item-192, #menu-item-205, #menu-item-191 {width:73px!important; }

#menu-item-134 {width:63px!important;}

.menubreak {padding:0; margin:0; width:0px!important;}

#tabs ul li{padding: 40px 3px 0px 3px; height:37px; margin-right:1px;}

Of course, it would be far better to do everything through CSS, but it proved to be too hard… I would welcome any other more effective solution!

BTW – Issues no.1-2-3-4 outlined on the post above are still standing… Hope to get some answers, sooner or later!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Diego,

I'm glad you came up with a solution – can you provide a link to your site so I can see the issues above.

I've just tested bbpress again on one of my test servers and it doesn't show any issues like you're describing. What version of DynamIX are you using?

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

Hi Andy,

These are the versions I'm using:

WordPress 3.3.1

DynamiX Child Theme 1.0 + DynamiX 2.8.8

bbpress 2.0.2

BuddyPress 1.5.4

Can you please help me also with the 26-pixel tall space added at the top of all pages? It's caused by bbpress (I tried to deactivate it, and the extra space disappeared), but I don't know how to get rid of it.

In any case, have a look at this test page of he website I'm developing:

http://dev.stonepages.com/wales/llech-idris/

While the forum main page is here:

http://dev.stonepages.com/forums/

A final question: as I've got to add to the website about 600 pages, each with a photo gallery with 3-6 images and 25% of pages will also have a second gallery with 1-4 drawings, what is the best strategy to organize such a huge image gallery trhough your theme?

Thanks for your help!

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

I have also made a second test site with only WordPress 3.3.1, DynamiX Child Theme 1.0 + DynamiX 2.8.8, bbpress 2.0.2, BuddyPress 1.5.4. After having deactivated the BBpress bar using

remove_action( 'wp_footer', 'bp_core_admin_bar', 8 ); //Front end Buddy

remove_action( 'admin_footer', 'bp_core_admin_bar' ); //Back end Buddy

remove_action('init', 'bp_core_add_admin_bar_css'); // CSS for both front and back

There is still that 26-pixel high gap on top of all pages… See here:

http://test.stonepages.com

I have also tried to add the following code to style.css:

body { padding-top:0px!important; }

But the result is always the same: an unwanted gap at the top. I'm 90% sure that this – and all the BuddyPress-related problems – are due to the fact you took into consideration only one of the 2 possible default BuddyPress installations. Yours (and your custom-built CSS files) is based on Forum for Groups, while mine uses Sitewide Forums, which involves an additional plugin (bbpress) installation.

Hope you can find a solution for these problems I'm wrestling with…

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Diego,

I did not realise you were wanting the admin bar removed – that makes more sense. 

You can just remove it form the DynamiX/stylesheets/style-adminbar.css – though not sure why the CSS above wouldn't work. 

With regards to the photos – how are the images currently stored are they in posts already?

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

>You can just remove it form the DynamiX/stylesheets/style-adminbar.css

Unfortunately modifying that CSS file doesn't solve the top gap problem. Tried to modify it as follows:

body { padding-top: 0px; }

#toppanel { margin-top:0px; }

And the gap is still present. Again, I discovered that when I  deactivate BuddyPress plugin, the gap goes away, so I'm sure it is a CSS injected by that plugin. Do you have any idea?

Please, please, please let me also know about the issue that when Sitewide Forum option is enabled, ALL forum contents are not being stylized…

As I posted above, the images on the top navigation menus are now working fine. I didn't mention any problem with photos.

Thanks for your help!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

It's working now – have you managed it ? 

It should be stylised – it definitely works with site wide forums, wheres the link? I'm wondering if the child theme is causing these issues. Can you try with the root theme as there isn't much of an advantage of using the child theme anymore. 

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

Regarding the top bar gap problem, I finally solved changing this code on stylesheets -> style-adminbar.css in both the child and parent themes:

#toppanel {margin-top:0px;}

However, the problem with BuddyPress that is being shown unstylized is still standing. You can have a look at both these test websites (note: the latter does contain only your theme and bbpress+buddypress plugins. Both sites have been configured with the "Sitewide Forum" option.

http://dev.stonepages.com/forums

http://test.stonepages.com/forums

And below is a screenshot showing how BuddyPress does look like in my sites – that is, almost completely unstylized:

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

I'll take a look at the styling and see why it's not being affected. 

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

Thanks – I hope you can find the cause and possibly fix it.

Diego Meozzi
    Participant

OK, I finally got that BuddyPress bug: it is related with the Child theme only.

When I use the parent theme, all the BuddyPress pages are being stylized in the right way.

It took too much time to find it out by myself though…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.