Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / [Feature Request] Support bbPress Plugin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • AJ
    Participant

Hi Andy.

We are testing/using the bbPress plugin for our forum. You can learn more about the plugin here: http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

The way the plugin works is through the use of page templates. Currently, I've just added some dynamix code immediately after ?php get_header();. I would copy and paste but i'm not sure if i can use HTML in this post.

You can pretty much just download the plugin from here: http://svn.automattic.com/bbpress/branches/plugin/ and copy/paste everything inside bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten except the style.css, and then add "bbpress" as a tag to your theme.

The plugin is in version 1.0 alpha right now, but it's going to be the next version of bbPress, so at least consider it.

Thanks

Flickapix Dezign
    Participant

thought buddypress had bbpress feature hence "forum" ? correct me if im mistaken.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Buddypress does have bbpress built in – that's what this site is using? 

I think the standalone bbpress has a few more functions – is that correct Aj? 

AJ
    Participant

Buddypress does indeed have bbPress integrated, but only through the "groups" component. Some users (us included) wished that we could simply have a forum on any page of our wordpress install, with its own subforums and topics therein. bbPress (plugin version) provides this functionality.

Here's a better overview of the project than I can write here: http://buddypress.org/2010/08/buddypress-and-bbpress-the-future/

Quoth JJJ (of BuddyPress fame):

Since BuddyPress 1.1, bbPress has come bundled in the package to help make the installation as smooth and easy as possible. Through a little bit of massaging we successfully integrated bbPress into a dedicated forum component to allow for group discussion, and we included a central discussion directory to help put all of these topics in one easy place. All of these ideas were great on paper but have had mixed feedback and results in practice. Making bbPress a standalone plugin will help allow for more customizable installations which is great news for anyone that’s currently using BuddyPress for the forum component, or has been holding off because of the complexity of it all.

Basically, it’s the future of bbPress and WordPress. I merely mention it here hoping you might choose to play with it and get a jump on this new feature, as the first official release is coming soon.

Best,
    AJ

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Aj,

This is something I will 100% consider for the future, I would have used BBPress over BuddyPress originally but it wasn't available at the time. 

Best regards

Andy

0rca
    Participant

+1 for bbpress, the release candidate is avaible here: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/bbpress/

Kevin Amter
    Participant

Can you use them simultaneiously?

0rca
    Participant

You mean bbpress plugin and buddypress? Don't see why not. Since bbpress is done by the same developers, I guess they have considered this…

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

BuddyPress uses a BBPress db so I think they should work together fine. Once I've cleared down a couple of these big projects I have on at the moment I'll start looking into integration – the last time I used BBPress with DynamiX it worked okay, so maybe just a few admin options and CSS tweaks are needed, has anyone tried the BBPress plugin lately with DynamiX?

Lalthansanga Hnamte
    Participant

i activate buddypress plugin, but i dont know how to configure, can any one give me complete quide line, i am using dynamix theme.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

The documentation will give you a few starter points (do you have DynamiX 2.8.4)? But as mentioned you'll need to check out buddypress plugin for how it all works 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.