Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Getting Dynamix w/ BuddyPress to work with WordPress SEO

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Peter Davenport
    Participant

Currently, Yoast's WordPress SEO doesn't work with BuddyPress, however, I found this hack to let it rewrite titles for the BuddyPress pages:

http://bp-tricks.com/coding/making-buddypress-compatible-with-the-wordpress-seo-plugin-from-yoast/

It modifies `<title><?php bp_page_title() ?></title>` in a standard WP theme with:

`<?php if(!bp_is_blog_page()){ ?>

<title><?php bp_page_title() ?></title>

<?php } else { ?>

<title><?php wp_title('') ?></title>

<?php } ?>`

However, the title tag in Dynamix' header.php is significantly different:

`<title><?php if(is_front_page()) { bloginfo('name'); } else { bp_page_title( '', true, 'right' ); }?></title>`

Is it possible to simply replace the Dynamix title call with the hack, or is there a way to edit it in so that the SEO plugin can handle title rewrites?

Manish
    Participant

Why sont you use a seo plugin that is compatible with buddypress?

Peter Davenport
    Participant

I was using SeoPress, which is the only plugin that I've found which works with BP, but the interface isn't nearly as good as Yoast's plugin, it doesn't offer any kind of analysis and it wasn't properly creating description metas anyway. Yoast's does a great job with it the standard WP areas of the site and if figuring out a simple hack is all it takes to get it compatible with BP then I'm all for it. Dynamix is just a unique theme that requires a little bit more attention when it comes to hacking at it.

The Yoast plugin is highly regarded as the best plugin for WP SEO, so the question then becomes, why wouldn't I want to adapt it to BP?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Peter,

I don't see a problem with using their conditional code for the title – it's very similar apart from if it's the front page it shows the blog name instead of the page title. 

Have you tried it out?

Peter Davenport
    Participant

Not yet. I wanted to get some thoughts from you before I tried it. I don't understand how to read code to understand what is happening, so your input was needed.

I will test it and report back.

Peter Davenport
    Participant

Well, it didn't seem to do anything at all….

This is with the snippet in place: http://teatra.de/activity in the source code, you can see that the plugin is present (but it was showing that before), but it doesn't rewrite the titles and meta descriptions.

Any ideas?

Peter Davenport
    Participant

My previous comments is only half right. There is a setting in the plugin options that is "Force rewrite titles" which is meant to be used when the template or theme can be modified. I had it turned on originally, now it is off and titles are being controlled now. However, the meta description is still missing. Probably not anything you can help with, will need to probably find some help with it at a more BP centric site. If you have ideas, though, let me know!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Peter,

It might be worth entering the description meta tag into the head section of the header.php and see if it populates it. 

<meta name="description" content="put some general content in here.">
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.