Home / Forums / ePix Support / Google Tag Manager

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Tim Hensel
    Participant

Hi Tom

How do I add the Google Tag Manager code to my site?

I’ve tried putting it in the Google Analytics code box, but the tag still shows up as not installed. It says to put it in the body tag on every page. Is there a way to do that easily, and so I don’t lose the code when updating epix?

I could of course use the traditional GA code, but I want to use tag manager if possible as it’s better for setting up tags, goals, etc.

Kind regards

Tim

ss1
    ss2

• This topic was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Tim Hensel.
    Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

That code needs to be placed in a slightly different location to the usual tracking code. You’ll need to edit ePix/header.php and locate this line of code:

<body <?php body_class('skinset-background nv-skin '. $preloader ); ?>>

place it directly below the line above.

I hope that helps?

Tim Hensel
    Participant

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a go.

As it’s not changed via the backend in WordPress, does that mean I’d need to re-add it if I update the theme?

Nice theme, by the way 🙂

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the compliment 😉

Yes it would. However, you can use the ePix Child Theme ( it’s in the main folder you download from ThemeForest ) > copy the header.php from your main ePix folder into the ePix-Child theme folder and activate the Child theme in Appearance > Themes, the core will update and save the keep the modified header.php in the child theme safe.

I hope that helps?

Tim Hensel
    Participant

Hi Andy

I’ve been banging my head against this for hours now, nothing seems to work.

I’ve disabled Google Tag Manager and tried installing the GA tag the traditional way in the appropriate box, but I still get the error message Missing analytics.js script from Tag Manager, and Analytics says it isn’t tracking.

Can you help? If you need it there’s a ThemeTrust administrator login still active on my site, I emailed the login details to Tom before.

Tim Hensel
    Participant

OK edit to the above – I’ve removed and reinstated the tag in the appropriate place (Theme options/header/tracking code box) – I did get an error from Tag Assistant saying Code found outside of <head> tag. Perhaps it was still propagating or such like.

GA still says Tracking Not Installed, but I think I’ll leave it overnight and see if it catches up with itself. If I continue to have issues I’ll let you know.

Many thanks – Tim

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Tim Hensel.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.