Home / Forums / You Theme Support / How much faster is You than Epix?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Tim Hensel
    Participant

Hello

I’ve built sites with Epix, Dynamix and You in the past. You is definitely my favourite.

However, my own photography site (https://www.timhenselphotography.com) is on Epix. It gets quite slow page load times – naturally there are a lot of images there, compressed as far as possible without harming quality – and I was wondering how much difference it would make if I switched it over to You.

I know the pages and posts should remain more or less the same, but do you suppose there’d be a lot of work involved in migrating it, if it’s worth it for the speed?

Hi Tim,

You was coded differently and it was built and tested to be faster than Epix or Dynamix. So not considering the images of your site and barebones, YOU is faster than Epix.

Regards,

Tim Hensel
    Participant

Undoubtedly it’s faster, if I was building from scratch of course I’d choose You.

But would migrating it make a significant enough dent in page load speed scores to make it worthwhile switching, in your opinion?

Hi @timhensel

There are a lot of variables to the site’s speed, so we can’t practically determine how much faster your site will be but as mentioned, the theme is coded optimally compared to Epix or Dynamix.

The best option is to try it then test the site using http://www.tools.pingdom.com. It should show you all the elements your site is loading and which areas you need to look into to speed up the site further.

Regards,

Tim Hensel
    Participant

Thanks Edcel – most enlightening.

The major thing on mine is the images it seems, as I suspected. So for me, it’s probably not worth doing. The other elements would no doubt load / respond faster – but set against the size of the images optimising these would likely make little difference overall.

Thanks for your help.

Hi @timhensel

Optimizing the images using plugins or manually via Photoshop should help. As they say, there is no substitute to a lightweight and well-optimized site, no matter which theme or hosting you are using. 🙂

Switching to YOU over Epix is most recommended, but it will still depend on your decision.

Regards,

Tim Hensel
    Participant

Hi Edcel

Agreed – I switched over to Jpeg Mini recently for image optimisation, so they’re as small as they’ll get without damaging the quality (which as it’s a photography site wouldn’t be a good thing!)

I’ll look at making the switch anyway next time I’ve got a bunch of new pages to build – I’m sure it’ll be worth it in the long run!

Thanks for your help

Tim

You’re welcome, @timhensel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.