Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / How to add ( hyperlinked) "Read More" to a Grid Gallery

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Max Rutherston
    Participant

Hi,

I am currently using a grid gallery to display my stock items. My problem is in how best to let viewers know that they can get more details on any item by clicking (at present) the item name.
    It seems most of my viewers click the image that is displayed and this just shows an enlarged version of the item, but no details. This despite my having added a short animated message at the top of the page to advise people to click the item name.
    I would like to add words like “Read More” after each item name or description (below the image) and hyperlink them to that item’s page/post.
    Here is that page so you may take a look:
    http://best-skin-care-supplies.com/current-stock/

Any suggestions or help would be very much appreciated.
    Max

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

If you are selling products, I recommend using the free plugin, WooCommerce. It integrates directly with DynamiX.

Once you have created some products and selected a category, you can use the grid gallery to display them in the same way. If the user clicks on the title or image, they will be directed to the product page of that item.

For more information on WooCommerce, please see the documentation here.

Be sure to select the datasource, Product Categories when editing your grid gallery.

Tom

Max Rutherston
    Participant

Hi Tom,

We don’t actually sell any products online, we just show products we have available for sale at our gallery/showroom. I have already listed these items and really only wanted to know if there was a way I could add the words “Read More” with a link to each item’s page, either after the item Name or just below in the gallery.

Also I am not sure that using Woo Commerce will give me this ability anyway.

Alternatively is there a way I could add a description field to the grid gallery so that I could add a hyperlink in that and it would then appear just below each item’s name?

Thanks for all your help,
    Max

John Griffin
    Participant

/

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

If you take a look at your page, I have set this up so that the Advanced Excerpt plugin adds a read more link to the bottom of the images. I have also turned off lightbox so that if the user clicks the images they will go to that page instead of opening just the image.

You seem to have some caching plugins installed on your site which is effecting the excerpt on one of your images. I cannot figure out why the excerpt is showing as there is no text on the portfolio page. The only thing I can think of is that the portfolio post is pulling in the image from another gallery so that gallery may have text in. I recommend changing this to just an image as this should solve things.

If you can, try resetting your websites cache and browser cache as something is hanging up here.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Max Rutherston
    Participant

Hi Tom,

Thanks for doing all that work for me. I have looked at the problem you mention above and I only have 1 caching plugin but it has not been activated as yet because I want to finish work before doing so ( I have removed it altogether for now).
    I therefore uploaded the image of this item again and added that image to the slide set replacing the previous problem image. This worked, but unfortunately for some reason this new image’s title no longer links to the post/page for the item and to make matters worse the “read more” link and words are also not showing.

Do I need to add some extra code when I insert new images?
    Kind regards and many thanks,
    Max

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Max,

It looks like you have not entered a link or title into the slide set image that you have recently created. Therefore it has nothing to link to or title to show.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Max Rutherston
    Participant

Hi Tom,

Thanks for pointing that out, I did add the Title and link_url but whenever I updated the post these changes were deleted. I have just clicked the Update button next to Custom Fields and NOT clicked the Update post button, this worked and my changes have remained Not sure why but hey if it works that’s OK. Thanks for all you help, have a nice weekend.
    Max

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.