Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / I have some issues and would like to make some suggestions!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Justin Anfinson
    Participant

First off, this is a great theme. Visually appealing and very clean.

Your theme is extremely well suited as a corporate style theme where minimal functionality is required. I'm an experienced blogger and this theme could use more blogging features.

Now that said, I have spent countless hours finding plugins to fill these gaps however many plugins are not compatible with this theme since themes nowadays seem to be coming out with these standard features – hence the plugins don't get updated anymore.

Before I begin, here is my site http://justinanfinson.com

My issues:

1. Check out the featured posts slider I set up. I used your shortcode to do that. The only way I could get it to work was to fill in slides 2&3, 5&6 to be able to get it to show the slides I needed. It seems that your slider likes to slide in patterns of 3 and this cannot be changed from the admin panel. Adding this scalability would be appreciated. Your gallery widget would be a better option to upgrade with scalabilty features like this as right now it really just shows images in a plain way.

2. I would've really enjoyed if you made your theme such that 2 page layouts could be used on 1 page. For example, a full width section in the top area of the body and a 2 column section below it. Now, I know this can be acheived with column shortcode but then you run into the problem of not really being able to implement javascript. I'm not a programmer, I'm an internet marketer. Therefore I gave up on going the shortcode column route becuase then I was not able to put in my ads or my email form. It would be appreciated if you were to provide more page layout options.

3. I would really like to see more custom widgets. The theme is missing a featured content slider and popular posts widget. These additions would be appreciated!

4. I also had to end up getting my own author box plugin. The problem I had with yours was having to enable it in every single post I wrote. That is quite a hassle in my opinion. Not to mention the formatting of it looked a little unorganized. Fixing this up would be greatly appreciated.

5. Your theme also does not contain anything for related posts down at the bottom of post pages. I also had to find a plugin for this which wasn't easy because almost all were incompatible. Adding this feature would be awesome!

6. I placed the recent posts in the middle column on my home page as you can see. They are lacking one thing though. That's the meta data. Please add the options to include the date, author, category, tags and comments.

Like I say, your theme is great overall, however I do believe you could add some more features for bloggers.

-Justin

Justin Anfinson
    Participant

I also forgot to add:

W3 Total Cache (plugin) does not seem to play well with your theme. Primarily it breaks the showcase slider when activated. I get images showing up in it from recent posts rather than the gallery I've specified. And when you enable Minify, the showcase slider doesn't even load up.

Also, can you please add Google Analytics integration into the theme? I'd prefer to not have to put my code on every page I want tracked or use a plugin just for that.

Thanks!

Rich
    Participant

No theme is going to make everybody happy and cover everything they want – that's why there are plugins and custom code. 

For google analytics add the following to your child theme functions.php file.

<?php

if(!is_admin) {

add_action('wp_footer', 'add_my_google_code');

}

function add_my_google_code() {  ?>

// Google analytics code goes here

<?php }

?>
    Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the feedback, I'll take the comments on board. WIth regards to the W3 Total Cache, is that affecting 3d Gallery? The minifiy won't do anything to the Theme anyway as it's already minified to the highest degree. 

Justin Anfinson
    Participant

Rich – I realize what you're saying however many of those features I mentioned come standard with ultra premium themes these days. I have another one that I bought recently for $5 less and it literally included all of that plus a bit more. I went with dynamix due to the seamless buddypress integration however. Since I paid more for it, I was expecting a little more customization in the back with some more standard features. Something such as meta data on the recent posts shortcode shouldn't even be considered a feature, rather a core SEO requirement.

I try to stay away from burdening my sites down with plugins. As it is now, my site's homepage is making 195 requests according to Pingdom. I see no way of lowering that unless I start removing plugins. I normally try to keep my sites under 150.

In regards to custom code, I do not know a lick of PHP. I can make my way around CSS but that's it. My energy is focused on using the WordPress platform to make money through CPA and affiliate marketing. Not coding.

Andy – Thanks a million for reading through my long winded post. I believe that updating the theme with those feature would make this a top 5 weekly top seller on themeforest. I want to see you do well! You deserve it since you've concepted a great theme.

W3 Total Cache is indeed affecting my 3D Gallery. As I mentioned, the symptom is that other images start appearing (from my blog posts) instead of the gallery I've set up to use specifically for the 3D gallery.

Thanks guys!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Justin,

I'll definitely get the related posts, global author option and meta data for the recent posts sorted. Is there a particular format you have seen for recent posts with meta data or are you happy with the way it appears on blog pages? 

Justin Anfinson
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I would personally format it like this:

Date "date"  by "Author Name"

Category Tags Comments

Bring the spacing in a little tighter between the two lines (as the current blog meta does take up a considerable amount of real estate) and on the blog page, place all of it just under the title (just as you have it in the single post page). I find that after people read the title, they like to see the date next.

You could also play a bit with placing the meta data in a slightly shaded box to clean up the formatting and set it apart from all the other text.

I would also like to mention something about the W3 Cache plugin. When I had it activated, I only noticed that my 3D gallery was malfunctioning once I had logged out of my admin account. When I logged back in, the 3D gallery worked fine. So I went and checked my site on my laptop and sure enough, the gallery was still malfunctioning.

Thanks!

Justin Anfinson
    Participant

This theme (one I also own for a niche site of mine) has nailed the meta box in terms of design in my opinion.

http://themeforest.net/item/breeze-professional-corporate-and-portfolio-wp/full_screen_preview/118824

Although I would limit the meta to 2 lines such as you have.

Thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.