Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / IE-EDGE meta tag

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • David
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for your help in the past – I think I’ve found out why I’m having problems with IE.

Our problem seems to be that the site is hosted as a sub-domain of the company’s main site – and anything with an address based on that main domain is treated as an Intranet site by IE due to the domain it sits in.

Because of the way the network is setup, it is forcing anything detected as Intranet to run IE in ‘quirks mode’; essentially telling IE to emulate an older version of the browser. It’s setup like this because of the legacy systems we support for clients that require old versions of IE to work correctly.

The organisation sits across several domains (don’t ask!) and only this one domain is affected. The site loads fine in IE8 when connected to different domains.

I believe to resolve this I can use the IE-EDGE meta tag and add it to the header of the template to force IE to always run in its native setting.

My question now is – where would I place the code?

Would it go in index.php (and if so where?), would it go in header.php (again, if so where?) or somewhere else? I believe it could also be placed in a .htaccess file.

I’m running the latest version of the template.

I’m not sure of the best approach as I’ve never used this tag before so thought I’d ask for guidance prior to making any changes that could endanger the site!

Thanks in advance,
    David.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi David,

I have not heard of this happening before, must be a strange set up!

If you need to add in a script or code to the header, you can add it using <script> tags into Appearance > Theme Options > Header > Tracking Code.

I have found this post also that may help you out? If you are unsure about editing the .htaccess file, I recommend contacting your hosting company.

Kind regards,
    Tom

David
    Participant

Thanks Tom,

Yes, we do have an odd setup – it’s because of all the old legacy systems we have to support…

I tried entering the relevant line using script tags but on saving it stripped out the code between the script opening and closing tags. Also, in regards to the Tracking code section – I know I’m hijacking my own thread here but when I place the Google Analytics code here it shows the code on the page – should the code be wrapped in any specific tag?

Thanks,
    David

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Please post up the exact code you are trying to add so I can take a look.

With regards to the tracking code, you need to enter the full script that Analytics provide, not just the UA-xxxx

It must include the <script> tags also.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

David
    Participant

It does, thanks Tom.

I thought I just had to add the code, I’ve added the script now and all is well with the world! 🙂

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Thats great, thank you for coming back to us.

If you are happy with the theme, please take a second to rate the theme 5 stars here.

Much appreciated 🙂

David
    Participant

Hi,

I already have rated 5 stars!

I’m still having problems.

The line I’m trying to add is <meta http-equiv=”X-UA-Compatible” content=”IE=edge,chrome=1″ /> but whenever I try to add it it gets stripped out when saving.

David
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

David
    Participant

The website is loading as Local intranet because of the domain settings – do you know of a way to force the page to load in ‘normal’ mode rather than compatibility mode when it’s in the Local intranet zone?

Thanks,
    David.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi David,

Try adding it within the Header.php but within the <head> and </head> tags. Try adding it above another meta tag also then you won’t have issues with it being near the logo etc.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.