Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Improving Dynamix page load on IE8

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • Leonardo
    Participant

Guys,

Over at obxbrides.com we run a wedding site, with the main focus on photography. We've recently upgraded to a big server, improved our cache, but the page load time on IE8 is still terrible.

Some further digging shows that the group sliders rotate very slowly, the accordion tabs are sluggish, etc.. 

Of course, in decent browsers none of this happens. So here are my questions:

Has anybody found a way to optimize the scripts for IE8?

Is there a solid way to code FOR IE8, something like :

<!–[if ! lte IE8]><!–>

<!–<![endif]–>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

I was just about to email you back, glad you posted on here – it's easier to track. 

The problem I think you're facing is more to do with the amount of images loading on the page and the effects used – that combined with the fabebook widget and twitter feed. 

I would try the following: 

1) Make sure you're using the latest version of DynamiX (There is a new update due any day now and worth waiting for). 

2) Reduce the amount of images. 

3) Detect the browser and display a message stating the their browser is out of date (give how many years out of date) and to enjoy the most of the web please uprade to Microsft Chrome LOL (okay I would state Chrome). 

Unfortuantely IE (IE9 is better) has a terrible rendering engine and they can't keep up with the latest offerings from jQuery and high quality images. 

Hope that helps

Andy

Leonardo
    Participant

Perfect Andy… Thanks for the advice.

I was hoping I could simply make an alternative version of the home page, to load only for IE8. Do you know if that's even possible?

Thaks again.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

You should be able to do a php or javascript re-direct before the page has loaded. It's unfortunate that you would have to do that though. 

I would definitely recommend to anyone to put some sort of code on to tell users to upgrade. The web development is held back massively by IE. 

Leonardo
    Participant

Andy, what about the fact that the images on the first group slider (about the bride stories) are only showing a small sliver?

Also, IE8 seems to go nuts with the lightbox effect on blog posts such as http://obxbrides.com/blog/wedding-hair/what-to-do-with-your-do-a-guide-to-wedding-hairstyles/

Is there a CSS fix or a more complicated Jquery fix?

Thanks!!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Leo, that issue was fixed in a previous update. You can either download the latest version of ThemeForest now or wait a couple of days when I've updated it again with a new update. Either way because the theme isn't modified it should work find by just replacing the theme files. 

Leonardo
    Participant

Okay, I hate to be pain (more!) but any chance I can only change a few key files? I did have some small modifications done to a few php files and I definitely changed the css. 

Sorry… but last time we updated it took me a good 2 hours to put everything back in place…

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hmm, the new version has a child theme aswell so in future you don't have to worry about that. You make changes to the Child Theme CSS and then leave the core. 

Pretty much all major files have changed – what php files did you change? 

Also, the CSS can be compared using winmerge or something similar. 

Leonardo
    Participant

Downloaded winmerge, and I'm downloading the new version from TF now. 

Thanks!

Leonardo
    Participant

So, here's the roundup:

– new theme version is installed

– selected the child theme as the official theme version

– replaced all of the custom CSS/PHP I changed…

And the IE errors (group slider image not showing, and the lightbox on blog posts such as http://obxbrides.com/blog/flash-mob/dont-forget-the-4th-of-july-flash-mob/

are still there… Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks!

Leo

Mark
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I have Dynamix also on a site before hte Child theme setp – resisted updating due to CSS mods but I worry now that all core files are updated.  Would I really see a difference updating and going through the initial pain? ;o)    

My site has lots of blogs etc so I wondered if this would work? ……. I use BackupBuddy on the site to make backups of the site as a whole and also just the DB separately. Do you know if I was to backup the DB, could I then update the theme, use the childs, make my mods again and then restore the DB? Is there any reason this would not work do you know?

thanks

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

I swear that blog was an old resolved issue but it still remains – I've just resolved it and I've put it into the next update. Now you have the child you can just update the core. As for the group gallery – you haven't set an image height and that's why IE isn't rendering it. 

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Mark,

It's worth waiting another day or so for the next update. You don't have to worry about the data within the pages etc, that's all built into the database and the theme doesn't touch that. It's only CSS changes you've done. But you can add those changes to the Child Theme. 

Hope that clears things up a little. 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.