Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Inability to handle character codes

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Matt Devost
    Participant

Some of my blog posts have codes instead of " or ' 

&<removethis>#8220;Health officials in China confirm that on Sunday, a second man died from the H5N1 virus in less than a month. In late December, the country reported its first case of the deadly disease in humans since 2010.&<removethis>#8221;

See the example above.  Needed to put removethis to keep the forum software from just putting a quote.

When those codes are present the widget gallery (text only) fails to work for that post.  Any way to correct?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

That's interesting, so they work in the post okay it's just in the widget gallery? 

Matt Devost
    Participant

Yes.  The posts show up fine and the characters convert to display a quote.

However, in the Widget Gallery, the post will not be displayed AT ALL if the special characters are encountered.

I can manually remove it them and replace with " in the html editor in wordpress, but that reduces the effeciency of the process we have in place.

This appears to be the way feedburner sends the feed with is browser compliant, but the theme widget doesn't interpret correctly

Thanks!

Matt

Matt Devost
    Participant

Sent you a private message with the URL.

Thx

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

I'll do a few tests tomorrow and try and squeeze a fix into 2.8.8. 

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

I've just tested this (with your text above) and it works fine with the widget gallery. Are there any plugins that are interfering?

Matt Devost
    Participant

I don't think there are any plugins interfering.    Running minimal ones right now, but one is Membership.

It is strange because if those special characters are in the post it won't display, the minute I delete them it displays fine.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

I'm not sure what is going on then because I can get it running on this server – I wonder if it's a post that is causing the issue. Can you try creating a simple post with those characters in and then testing with the widget?

Matt Devost
    Participant

The problem seems to be related to intrepreting smart quotes.  I just posted an update under the new theme version announcement.

If I manually create a post, it works fine.  If I manually edit a post to remove the quote than put it back in, it works.

However, our workflow is to use MarsEdit and a quote in Mars Edit posted to the blog fails to display in the recent posts widget.

Does not appear to impact recent posts shortcode inserted in pages. Only impacts the sidebar widget.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Bizarre, that's why I couldn't reproduce the issue. I'll try some HTML character filtering to see if that works. Any sample data or test site you can allow me tohave access to?

Matt Devost
    Participant

I can create an account on the site for you.  Let me check if I saved your email address.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Let me know Matt and I'll be happy to test on there – hopefully it'll be a case of applying a filter to the data before it's executed. 

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.