Hi, i have run in to a problem with a conflict with a previously activated free theme that I was experimenting with.
It had a slider on the front page that drew the slides from another page titled "Slider".
After I installed the DynamiX themes and activated DynamiX-Child, I created a "Home" page and set it as the static "Home" page within the WordPress Admin menu under Settings -> Readings -> Front Page Display. when i previewed the page it looked fine. I went on and created a few more pages then went to preview and discovered that my top navigation menu had two "Home" tabs, one on the far left and one on the far right..
The tab on the far right was the Home page i had created. I went to the WordPress menu screen and removed the
"Home" page showing at the top and moved my page up to the top position. i also checked to make sure i had set it as the static home page. Now when i clicked on "Home" I got a 404 error.
Eveentually i found a way to get to the edit page for the "Sliders" page that showed it's link was http://www.c4el.com, so i thought if i deleted it, since it wasn't invlved in this theme, everything work then work.
Unfortunately that isn't the case. typing in the URL brings up an unformatted sitemap showing a 'page not found' in the browser address. If i click on any of the other links, I get the following message:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, email@example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
I contacted the admin group however they said that it was a theme conflict issue and i should contact the theme's author.
My question is – can I just delete all themes and WordPress and do a re-install of WordPress and start over? Will the server reset and function properly? As I have back-ups and was just starting to create pages, this might be the quickest way. However as my last attempt to correct the problem by deleting something didn't turn out so well so figured I'd ask.
Thanks for any advicce you can give on this issue.
That doesn't look too healthy – have you changed anything since posting this? Upgrading the theme shouldn't do this, it looks like WordPress has crashed.
I can't really give any advice on installing WordPress and your server, but it sounds like that's the best thing to do. You may want to contact your hosting aswell to see if they can help?
No, I haven't touched a thing since posting, have been out of office all day.
I did contact Netfirms, the hosting company, via email, when it happened but they basicaly said they weren't able to provide support for WordPress or the themes used on it.
It would appear to be a conflict between the way their server and WordPress interacted when the old theme was de-activated and DynamiX-Child activated. It's not logical, however it would appear that the WordPress settings for the first theme did not completely de-activate and even after DynamiX-Child was activated the home page of the 1st theme continued to be called up.
Guess I'll give Tech support a call and ask them what happens to their server if i delete everything in all the directories – maybe they can answer that question!
Thanks. Cheers 🙂
DynamiX and DynamiX-Child each have their own folder within …/wp-content/themes.
However I have solved the problem after quite a few long detailed emails to the hosting company – it seems that there was a problem with the permalinks set with the Day and Name option and in activating the DynamiX-Child theme for some unknown reason the permalink still went to the "home" page of the previously activated theme. They never said how it could have happened – they don't provide support for WordPress or themes, but after I detailed why each of their previous replies was totally illogical they finally came back with the comment that "if you can access the front page of a WordPress site, but get errors on the internal pages, the most common cause is an issue with the permalink settings. Try returning these to the default settings inside the Settings> Permalinks section of the wordpress dashboard. If all the pages of the site then load, that will point you in the right direction".
It's just too bad they didn't mention this the first day I sent them the error report – because in all the time I spent researching the issue on the internet, for some reason I didn't come across that suggestion once – and it is so simple – and logical LOL!
Thought I'd let you know just in case anybody else ever gets tripped up by an "Internal Server Error".
Have a great day – cheers 🙂
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.