Home / Forums / ePix Support / Is this customization even possible?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
  • Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

Hi guys,

I know I would need to pay you to do this, but I have a few alterations that I would like to see if they are even possible before I join into the custom code group.

I am totally out of my comfort zone so I took some screen shots and did some quick sketch type illustrations for what I am looking for. Hopefully images can get across what I mean, because I truly don’t know how to describe it.

Changes = Red for visibility, not necessary the color for final product. 😉

First,

Instead of the “expanding arrows” type icon, I’d like to use my own similar to this. Just a white “eye” outline.

Second (and continuing on that theme)

How the mouse hover would work when expanded

Instead of an “x” to close out of the expanded image I would like it to be a “closed eye” found by hover around the middle of the image window. As well for toggling through the gallery, a < and > but just an icon made similar that floats off the image. It’s important that with this change that visitors can still utilize their keyboard, using the ESC, Left Arrow & Right Arrow. Most people viewing my page won’t click through unless they can use the keys.

And third

I just want to slim it down. I might be able to do this just with working with in the theme – but I haven’t been able to figure it out.
    what I want gone

I want the border gone, the titles gone and since the “closed eye” will be working as a “x” I shouldn’t need that as well.

Bonus Question: it might just be the crappy laptop that I am on, but in all of these examples a little “java script” grey box appears in the bottom left. Is that appearing for everyone? http://www.megganjoy.com I don’t have ANY idea how to fix that if it is.

Extra Bonus Question: I know there is no perfect answer for this, but according to this website (which I trust) my website will mostly be viewed on 20-24″ screen. Any suggestion on what size I should be making my images to look the best at that size. Mine is currently 14. :/ It looks fine on mine, but eh, who knows? (new iMac on the way!)

Sorry if this question is in the wrong forum. As I said, I have no idea if this is even possible within the theme. Hopefully yes! Let me know!

As an aside, your customer service is just the bees knees. Thank you!

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant
    Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Meggan,

I recommend updating the theme first – it’s currently quite out of date.

All the customizations seem possible to do, however I’m about to shut down the current “Customization” forum. It’s unfortunately no longer feasible to keep it running. I am however going to still offer a customization service, but on a “per job” quote.

Is this something you would be still interested in?

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

Yes, I very much would. In fact, I prefer it.

How would I go about setting that up with you? And do you have any idea of possible timeline? The “eye” motif on the site is a tie in to a printed material piece going out to about 200 editors this Fall. (October 17 is the preferred date actually) Ideally, I would like to to have the website tweaks well done over with by then.

Newb question: so how do I update the theme?

Thank you very much!

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

Update: I checked around on the blog posts you offer on how to update. I apologize, but I am still very confused. Will updating remove my customization – as in the text, images and logo ext? Will I have to start from scratch? From my understanding I can somehow use a child theme to avoid having to do it all over. But I don’t know if I have that and if I don’t how to upload it. So sorry. I know it must be maddening to have to answer what is probably a very mundane question. I’m just totally out of my element here.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Meggan,

I can make the changes so that they’re safe from updates. You can use a Child Theme or use the Appearance > Theme Options > Customize > Custom CSS.

With regards to this image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/07nfnwbqx11n1kf/How-I-want-the-mouse-hover-to-work.jpg?dl=0

Does it require to have the shut eye in the middle of the image, will this not disrupt the user viewing the image itself.

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

Hi again,

I would like the closed eye to appear only when hovered over. Either the cursor turns into the closed eye when over the middle of said image or the closed eye appears when hovered over center of image and can then be clicked. Which ever one is easier. Most viewers of my site are going to be using keystrokes anyway, so they possibly won’t even see it and opt to use the “esc” key.

Best,

Meggan

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Meggan,

It should be doable – what about using the closed eye as the X close button instead ( top right )?

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

That could work as well, as long as it’s still easily readable as being a closed eye. So still roughly the same size as the open eye and the arrows. So how do I get started on all of this. I won’t have anymore time to look into updating the theme until sometime next week. Do I send you a deposit? Can I do that over paypal?

Thank you again for helping me out!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster
    This reply has been marked as private.

Meggan Trobaugh
    Participant

Perfect! I am in the middle of switching from one bank to another, so when I get that straitened out I will get that payment ready asap.

What file perimeters should I use for the graphics? PNG. certain size? Does it matter at all? Do they need to be in the final color or will I still be able to change the color within the customization panel? (either or is fine, I just want to make sure I get it to you right the first time)

Thank you again for this, you have been so patient and helpful. I really appreciate it.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Meggan,

.PNG would be best. I can work with the size and you’ll be able to change the image later if need be.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.