Today I upgraded from 2.8.7 to 3.1.2 using the ‘backup your themes folder and copy over the new DynamiX folder’ method, and I multitude of issues.
Firstly all of my widgets have gone (all the side bars, etc) which is a real pain because I had quite a complex number of menus. I’ve got over that and will work on them over the next couple of days.
The biggest problem I have though is that the header on the new theme seems to have had some functionality removed.
I’ll try and summarise:
1. One the front page @ http://www.emptyspiral.net no matter what I do, I can’t seem to get rid of a gray shaded ‘oval’ at the top of the content area. This is hidden from by the slider, but you can see evidence of it at the sides of the slider as there is not a smooth transition from the header to the body. This didn’t happen before.
2. On 2.8.7 the theme would allow me to have two headers – one 1 sliders and one without. I seem to have lost this functionality. I can create an amended duplicate skin, this means I need to fix loads of pages. At the moment I’m just using the 1 and the header is cut off (http://www.emptyspiral.net/category/general-news/ is supposed to look like http://www.emptyspiral.net/forum/ )
3. I don’t want my Titles (H1-3 etc) having the same colour for links as body text. Even worse, the rollover on the custom cufon font doesn’t seem to work as expected, and sometimes leave the title pink.
I still love this theme, but it’s been a painful day, and I’m hoping for some points 🙁
When upgrading from an old version of DynamiX there will be a few things that will need to be changed as the theme has completely been re-vamped due to the way the industry is moving.
To kick things off, I recommend watching 2 screencasts. DynamiX 3.+ overview and Live Skin Customizer. These should answer nearly all of your questions and give you a good understanding of what is changed.
1. I presume this has been fixed as I cannot find an oval on your page?
2. To achieve this look again, you could add a background layer with the patter on it and position it within the background. The Skin Customizer can be used for this.
3. You can use the Skin Customizer to alter font colors and change small things like this.
Hope this helps.
I’ve watched over screencasts (and all the others) and they’ve not helped me with this.
1. This isn’t fixed. Since a picture speaks a thousand words 😉 Here is what I mean. With the header grown to 500px for illustrative purposes you can clearly see a shaded oval:
I don’t know where this oval came from. I’ve looked at the source and there’s no graphic there, so I’m assuming it’s done with some clever css coding.
When I reduce the header to 0px it’s less evident and hidden behind the slider, who it’s still shows when the slider is still loading and doesn’t look good. Here’s what I mean:
I’ve tried adding various images to the visualiser but that doesn’t make a difference – what’s not helping is that the visualiser doesn’t autoupdate for me either 🙁 (I’m assuming this is a wordpress/plugin issue though anything you can do to assist with that as well would be good!)
2. That doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve had to create two skins and change all the pages without slides to use the different skin. I’m still unclear on the purpose of 2 background layers. The screencast is unclear on the possible effects of this. Can you show me some examples?
3. I’ve tried that but it’s not to do with the colours – it’s to do with the cufon code. If you go to my front page you will see the Heading ‘Latest News’ It should be in white. Now hover over it and it will turn red – it then stays red when you stop hovering. If you just pass your mouse across it, the colour turns Pink.. It’s driving me mad! I need the links to be read *unless* it’s a heading. :S
1. It’s the shadow / highlight – part of the design. You can hide it with some CSS. Add the following code to Appearance > Theme Options > Customize > Custom CSS
2. You could use the same kind of image as used on your forum page with the cut off parts at the bottom as the header image. Is that what you mean? You can have more than one background layers so you can layer images over each other or have one at the bottom and one at the top for example.
3. Wow that is strange, can you provide your login details so I can take a further look into this please? Please set your reply to private also when posting login details.
2. So the part about having 2 headings is fine now? You can upload 2 background images and change the opacity to give them a layered effect. You can set particular skins for different pages, so a page with a slider on could be different to a standard page yes.
3. You could always create us another user. It is the best way for us to assist you otherwise we spend a lot of time firing questions back and forth. The support forum is very safe. Only me and Andy (Theme Creator) and see private posts, it’s the same as private messaging.
2. I’ll give that a go, but essentially I’ve worked around the issue as follows:
a. I’ve set the default skin to one that works with no slider. This is so that all pages look fine by default (etc auto created category/archive pages).
b. I’ve created a skin specifically for sliders, with a different header, and change the page properties to use that when I decide to used a slider (such as on the front page).
3. I’ll do that, thanks. It will be next week now as I’m away for 5 days. Thanks again for helping me with this!
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.