Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Making changes in Child theme style sheet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • Peter
    Participant

Hi Andy:

If I make a change to the code in DynamiX/footer.php (changing the size of the video lightbox, according to your instructions on this forum) can I put those changes into the Child Theme style sheet, or is that just for changes to the DymaniX main theme style sheet? Just trying to save modding the DynamiX/footer.php every time there's an update and not panicking like I just did because I forgot that I even made the change 🙂

Regards,

Peter

Flickapix Dezign
    Participant

just place a copy of footer.php into the child and edit it there,the parent will then be safe for updates

Peter
    Participant

The entire page of code, yes?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Peter,

I've not tried it yet but yes you would be best to physically copy and paste the DynamiX/footer.php file into the DynamiX-Child/ folder. 

Peter
    Participant

Will do. Thanks.

Flickapix Dezign
    Participant

any file can be copied over but its best to refer to the wordpress codex as to how they affect the parents files,for example;

functions.php is loaded before the parents functions.php but does not replace it,it adds to it.

header.php,footer.php and any page templates are replaced when copied into the child theme,further editions can be made as long as the origional file hierachy is kept the same as the parent,which means folders like stylesheets can be copied over,however it would require the links to those files editing,for example (template_url) would be replaced by (stylesheet_url).

hope this is helps with further enquiries

Peter
    Participant

Thank you. Very helpful, as always.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

If you're using DynamiX 2.8.3 aswell, the documentation covers a bit more on this topic. 

Peter
    Participant

Just visited the documentation, and it's fantasic. You did a great job on this — no surprise 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.