Home / Forums / ePix Support / Managing files in Media Library

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • Ioannis Bairaktaris
    Participant

Well, I don’t know if this qualifies as a theme support-related question but thought to ask.

As I’m about to upload a good amount of images, I wanted to know if (and how) can it be possible to organize them in Media Library so that they are not just a bunch of files, with endless pagination to search in. These images will be of different kind of types (i.e sea photos, air photos, ground, forest, trees, flowers, chairs, etc) and some of them could be in more than one categories. As I looked upon the properties of an image I uploaded through the Media Uploader, there’s a drop-down button in Media Library called “Show All Portfolio Categories” . Could this help in overall taxonomy of my files or not? So that I can quickly filter uploaded files to better and more efficient search which file I want to insert to any page or post at any time. I also done a bit of research regarding wordpress plugins that give this kind of “added functionality” to the library and one came up that could at least help organizing my images. It’s called Enhanced Media Library from the WordPress.org Plugin Directory.

The real question lies in the use (or not) of this particular plugin. Would it be wise to use it or this could in some way mess with the overall functionality of the theme itself ? Or there’s another way in terms of categorizing and file taxonomy (or maybe another plugin) that can get my job easier without affecting the theme ? Because “Organize my uploads into month- and year-based folders” option in media settings doesn’t quite help in this direction.

As the theme itself is really powerful in creating pages (and websites) in one’s needs, I could use your opinion in this, if possible. Or at least point me in some direction towards this.

Thanks in advance,
    Kind regards.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

As the Media Library is a standard WordPress option, I do not think it is possible to organise images within it with the standard options.

I have not heard of a plugin that can do this but you could put your images into folders locally then upload them folder by folder that way they won’t be muddled up.

You can filter media by month as standard but that is about as far as it stretches. More information here.

The Enhanced Media Library looks like it would be the best plugin option at the moment from having a quick search.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Ioannis Bairaktaris
    Participant

Thank you very much for the (indeed) instant reply, I’ll give this plugin a shot and see what happens from there.
    It really is a pleasure working with your theme. I’ve rated it (I think I did it properly) as highly as it could. 🙂
    Thanks again.
    Kind regards,
    Ioannis

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words 🙂 To rate the theme you will need to go into your downloads then rate it.

Much appreciated.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.