Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Navigation disabled when adding menu items

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
  • Paul Kunkel
    Participant

I have 2 top level menu items in main navigation: “Chinese” and “English” which are custom links that have sub-pages and sub- sub-pages underneath each. I now want to add 2 more menu labels (both existing pages) to the top level next to “Chinese” and “English”. When I do this and save menu and view site, the entire navigation is disabled, I see only white vertical lines where navigation should be. I go back to edit menu and the one of the 2 things I added automatically became “custom” even though I added pages. Also the main navigation ballot box at the bottom keeps getting unchecked regardless even though I check it before saving. What’s wrong? I tried adding one at a time, I also tried creating custom links and adding those to menu for the 2 new labels instead of pages, same problem. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Are you using the Custom Menu as mentioned in the documentation here? Please can you provide a link to your site so I can take a further look into this?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant

Yes I am. I checked everything again and it’s still doing what I described above. Here’s the link: http://wwwwangjingweicom.zippysites.com/ I removed the 2 new labels so you can see the navigation working.

Thanks for the response.
    Paul

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Please could I get the login details to your site so I can take a further look into this please? Please set your reply to private also, when posting login details.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

It looks like you haven’t told the theme to use that menu so by default WordPress picks a menu. Just so happened to be the one you wanted.

I have set the correct menu to appear and when you add extra menu items everything works how it should.

You can change which menu you wish to display within, Appearance > Menus > Manage Locations > Assign Menu.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

I have logged into your site again and had a look at this again, and I recommend updating to the latest version of DynamiX and WordPress. Also, try de-activating each of your plugins one-by-one to find one that may be conflicting with your menus. After you have updated, please reset your browser cache too.

Please let me know how you get on.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Andy just made a good point, it looks like you are running out of memory. I recommend asking your host to increase your suhosin memory and WordPress memory and this should solve things.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant

Hello Tom and Andy:
    I appear to already have the latest WordPress and just updated to Dynamix 3.1.2, and tested with the plug-ins the problem persists. Then I googled the problem and found that WordPress has a 90 menu item limit. My site exceeds this. My host advises against increasing the limit on php.ini which is not available to me as they don’t support it and it could break again. I now need to figure out another way to do this bilingual site. Other than having two entirely different domain names and sites or both languages on the same pages, do you have any other suggestions?
    Thanks again,
    Paul

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Ah, thanks for letting us know about that. As a suggestion, have you tried WPML? I don’t think you need to use 2 menus as the language changer sorts this for you. I would double check before you download it though.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant

Just to doublecheck, Dynamix is localised and translatable?

Thanks,
    Paul

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Yes it is, for more information on translation see the documentation here.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Kunkel
    Participant

Hi Tom:
    I looked at the WPML site and it looks good, although Dynamix is not listed here http://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/ as a theme compatible with them. I am nervous about “taking the plunge” as I am not well versed in code, etc. that’s why I chose a great theme like Dynamix. Do you think you’d be interested in being a part of http://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/go-global-program/ ? Short of removing items from the menu, I am still stuck!
    Thanks, please let me know.
    Paul

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

It is on the To Do list to fill out the form but WPML is fully compatible with DynamiX.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.