Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Pulldown Menu broken after BuddyPress 2.2 Update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
  • Josh Miller
    Participant

After we updated BuddyPress from 2.1.1 to 2.2 yesterday, multiple things broke, including the pulldown menu on the top right.

Not sure if you are already aware of this, or follow the troubleshooting posts on buddypress.

If you can fix it, that would be great.

Our site (NSFW): http://scaffies.nl/change-log-2015/
    The change log has all the technical details.

Thank you!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

It looks like you’re using an old version of the theme. I recommend updating the theme and you shouldn’t have this issue. I’ve tested on my servers and it’s fine with the latest version.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Thanks for youre response!

You guys make is sure complicated.

After some searching around, I found the Envato TOolkit Plugin, installed it, and then searched even longer for the “secret API” key.

However, it doesn’t do anything – how to I update the theme with it?

I did find out we have two different envato Marketplace IDs, “scaffies” (Dynamix theme) and “scaffiesadmin” (2 Polling plug-in’s) – we purchased at least 3 products here, and due to some hack which happened here earlier, we could not log in under scaffies, so we created the second ID to spend more money in the marketplace.

Now I am going to-and-fro with Scott Barlow from Help (help@market.envato.com) to get to access the “scaffies” account again, under which we baught the Dynamix Theme in Sept 2013.

Does it make any difference for the Envato theme updater which ID we use?

And why do we not get automatic updates to the theme like all other plug-ins we use with wordpress and buddypress? It seems off that for those we get automatic notifications when something new becomes available, and for one of the most expensive, paid, plugins not?

Thanks again,
    Josh

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,

Sorry you’ve had those issues, not to pass the blame … but blame Envato 😉

As long as the theme has been purchased under the account you use, it will work. If it’s not on the account it won’t.

The latest version of the theme includes an automatic way to update in the future, you do however have to enter the API key.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Hello Andy,

thanks again for a quick response.

Sigh. It seems, the issue is now to gain access to the account we purchased the dynamix theme under, and resolve this with the marketplace help. I just sent them three transaction IDs, I hope that will finally fix it, and I can then enter the correct market place ID to update the theme.

Good to hear the theme now has automatic updates! It is really tiring to see that so many updates constantly break something else (plugin’s, buddypress itself, …). I wish there is some improvement for this in the future, it takes the fun out of it.

Thanks again!
    Josh

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Josh,

I completely understand and sympathise, unfortunately due to the nature of these themes, it’s almost inevitable ( although I try extremely hard to minimize it ).

The issue is everything is constantly evolving and fast, there really isn’t anything much like it.

Apps, Software do not have a patch on these themes. We have an ever evolving core ( WordPress ), plugin updates, new devices, new trends, browser updates, ever evolving HTML, CSS, Javascript standards and functions… there’s no denying it, it’s a good challenge.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Ok, so now after some long-to-and-fro to get access to the correct API key (due to the heartbleed security issue) I could finally install the Envato Toolkit to update the theme from v 3.1.2 to 4.2.2

There is a choice to “View 4.2.2 Details“, which is blank when opened, and redirects to the Dynamix Sale page when opened in a new tab *OR* “Update Automatically”.

HOWEVER .. there is a pop-u warning when I click on Update Automatically”:
    Updating this theme will lose any customizations you have made. ‘Cancel’ to stop, ‘OK’ to update.

Screenshot:
    NSFW: http://scaffies.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Dynmaix-Customizations-Lost-Warning-2015-02-11-144033.png

Details from our Change Log:
    NSFW: http://scaffies.nl/change-log-2015/

Does that really mean I lose everything in skins, layouts, menu sizes, etc?
    and have to re-do everything from scratch? I cannot imagine that is the case?

Thanks for your feedback!

P.S.: these two links above are not really “NSFW” – just being overly cautious 🙂

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by  Josh Miller. Reason: added the URLs with examples
    Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

No, you won’t lose skins, layouts etc – it’s a poor choice of words. It means if you have made any changes to the core files.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback.

I did the automatic update, activated it, installed 2 required/recommended plugins, and found:

– the home page is messed up. The left sidebar is gone, moved to the position of sidebar 2, and sidebar 2 is completely gone

– all menus disappeared

– the dropdown menu (for which I started this thread) is still not working.

This is not what I had expected 🙁

Josh Miller
    Participant

I got the menus back in the “Customize” section and selecting the menus (the were de-activated)

the home page is a complete mess now 🙁

widgets disappeared and are moved to different side bars.

I also cannot select them and add with the new interface which popped up.

Josh Miller
    Participant

OK I found the widgets, in the WP original menu.
    Through the update all got shifted one over:
    sidebar 1 to sidebar 2 (leaving sidebar 1 emoty)
    sidebar 2 to dropdown 1
    dropdown 2 to dropdown 3
    .. and so forth

Moving them back one by one worked, albeit tedious.

Josh Miller
    Participant

what is also really annoying:

the update added sidebars to most pages, randomly, left or roght or both. I have to go through every single page on the site and check, and most of them to edit one by one to set them back to “Full Width”

Josh Miller
    Participant

Josh Miller
    Participant

oh noooooo.. it also just changes the content of the pages 🙁

somehow the first picture on the page apears also on top and blown up to full width .. now I have to find what does that and how to turn it off.

That is not cool, really not.

Josh Miller
    Participant

Sigh .. I cannot figure it out:

on all “Posts” (not Pages) the updated theme puts the first graphic in much larger on top of the page – and I cannot figure out how to change it, so that the post appears as before.

Example:

Screenshot:
    NSFW: http://scaffies.nl/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/Post-Double-Graphics.png

Actual URL:
    NSFW: http://scaffies.nl/2013/12/05/what-are-you-missing-on-scaffies/

The top graphic (picture) – the larger one – is not supposed to be there.

Needless to say, just changing all the Pages back to have no sidebars is already taking a lot of time 🙁

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.