Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Restore settings with different path

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • 0rca
    Participant

Hi guys,

we often copy full websites to a new URL, e.g. for testing purposes. When I’m trying to edit the settings file (domain-date.json) in order to reflect the URL changes and then import that, the setting are not imported anymore. What am I doing wrong?

E.g. testdomain.com is copied to dev.testdomain.com

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I have not heard of editing that setting file before. To copy one site to another, I use a plugin called Duplicator. Not sure if that helps at all?

Kind regards,
    Tom

0rca
    Participant

We are using DesktopServer for all kinds of copying, testing and deployment – it’s an awesome software. Anyway, indepently of the backup and restore software I sometimes have to move files by hand and then edit the database. The only thing sometimes not working that way is keeping the theme settings. So I’ve tried using the built in settings backup and restore, the json file is not so difficult to read and I thought carefully replacing the URLs in there should work. But it doesn’t and I guess I am overlooking something really obvious….

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I will ask Andy about this incase there is something I have not heard of before and get back to you ASAP.

Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

The theme settings are saved in the database so transferring the database should keep the settings in there. That is why I use the duplicator plugin as everything is copied in one.

Not sure what else to suggest.

Tom

0rca
    Participant

Hi Tom,

you got it exactly right: “should”. It usually does, but not always (no 2 servers are the same) and then I usually have a backup of the settings. But those don’t work when the URL has changed and that is what I am asking. How can I get that to work?

Thanks

Michael

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Michael,

Unless you are editing the database date, once you start editing it, it may destroy the data due to the format that the SQL code is in. You cannot manually do a find and replace in it, it just does not work from what we can remember doing it in the past.

Which is why I recommend using the duplicator plugin as you have to change the URL when uploading it so straight away the entire site is set up for the new URL and all of the settings are still there. I am really not sure what else to suggest apart from this, sorry.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.