Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Server error – Homepage gallery / timthumb.php issue?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Laurie
    Participant

Strange behaviour from my client's site… gradually running slower until last Wednesday, then stopped altogether. Hosted on 123-reg, whose support suggested an htaccess problem, a permalinks problem and the fact that the site shouldn't have a caching plugin on a shared host. Everything's been fine since last May when the site went live… couldn't even get into control panel, as WordPress wouldn't respond.

Latest theory from 123-reg is that their log is showing "Premature end of script headers: timthumb.php"

I renamed timthumb.php temporarily, and hey presto the site (and permalinks) work fine again – except that the gallery slide set on the home page is now empty.

Made sure I upgraded to timthumb.php 2.8.5 (old one was 2.7 and possibly vlunerable). Tried it again, same problem (site effectively dead).

Anyone else having similar problems, or ideas why this problem might have arisen out of the blue? The only other clue is that it seems 123-reg has migrated the site onto a new server recently…are there any obvious paths that might have broken that affect timthumb.php? (As I say, apart from the gallery the site works fine when timthumb.php is disabled).

Thanks

Laurie

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Laurie,

You can switch timthumb off in the General Settings page (which version of DynamiX are you using?). That will bring the galleries back, it maybe worth upgrading to latest version of DynamiX and clearing the DynamiX/lib/scripts/cache folder. 

Laurie
    Participant

Hi Andy – It's Dynamix 2.8. Can't see where the timthumb switch is in General Settings – has that been added more recently?

Have tried clearing the cache folder with no joy… 🙁

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

It's a very old version – I would upgrade to latest DynamiX and it may even resolve the issue altogether. 

Laurie
    Participant

Funny when a year ago is 'very old' 😉

Sorry for being a bit dim, but where do I grab the upgrade. Themeforest?

Laurie
    Participant

Even dimmer.. of course that was the answer… will see how I get on. Cheers, Laurie

Stephen Bonser
    Participant

ive been having very similar issues, i only bought the theme a week ago and installed wordpress a month ago,

out of no where my entire site went down and all i got were "500 server error" code, i couldnt even log into the backend of wordpress,

since then i scrapped that installation and started from scratch again,

all was working fine, but then 2 days afterwards my thumbnails are really acting up, new ones dont generate and are just missing image place holders, and older posts i imported all have zoomed in, stretched and distorted thumnails/featured images. even though there were all fine on the previous installation.

since disabling timthumb, my thumbnails are showing, but my older featured images are still playing up, even after removing featured image, then settting it again.

any idea?

Laurie
    Participant

Thrilled to say that upgrading did the trick for me. Timthumb is now disabled and everything on the site is absolutey flying compared with how it was before.

Thanks, Andy.

Laurie

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Laurie,

I know, a lot has been added and developed in a year. Plus platforms changed around it so it had to adapt (sometimes wish I wouldn't move so quickly..)

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Stephen,

Can you send me a link to your site please – I'll see if I can spot anything. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.