Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Size of featured images on homepage question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hi,

I’m curious if it is possible to change the layout and size of the featured images and excerpt on the home page. I wonder if it is possible to make the images smaller and have the excerpt text appear to the right of the image, similar to IGN’s home page (www.ign.com). This way more stories would be available right on the home page without having to click the next page button.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

It is possible to change the size of the images, just go to Appearance > Theme Options > Blog > Blog image size. Set the image to Left align also and the title and meta data should do next to it.

I will ask Andy about having the content next to the image.

On a side note, do you have any news about the new Halo game on your site?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

I have asked Andy about this and it is on the development list.

Tom

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Thanks for the info Tom, and I think that having the ability to use a blogroll more in the style of IGN would please a lot of people, especially those who own news sites.

As for the new Halo (I assume you’re talking about the Master Chief Collection revealed at E3), I don’t think any of us have posted anything about it yet, but I found this link with pretty much all the info – http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/feature/a578404/everything-we-know-about-halo-the-master-chief-collection-from-e3-2014.html#~oHukFUxDcBP0F5

Jason Bakker
    Participant

I just changed the settings to what you stated, and now it looks like this: http://metalarcade.net/

Since the images are much smaller now, I set the blogroll to display 25 stories at a time. Do you think this would significantly impact load time? Should I set it for a lesser amount? Thanks!

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Also, is it possible to make the article title smaller only on the home page?

Jason Bakker
    Participant

One last thing – I thought you might want to know that the official Facebook plugin is breaking the home page “next page” function. I had to disable it to get the next page function to work again, which means I also had to disable Facebook comments, I guess I’ll have to look into the Jetpack comments…

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

As the thumbnails and excerpt are quite small, I do not see this affecting your load time much at all.

It is possible to make the titles smaller just on the home page but as this is not a standard theme option, it is classed as a customization. You can view the comprehensive Custom CSS screencast here, this will give you more information on how to customize elements. On the other hand, you can request customizations through the customization forum here.

If you switch to the standard Twenty Fourteen theme, does the plugin still kill the next buttons? Exactly which plugin is this? I know there are a lot of unofficial ones made to look like the real deal.

P.S Great stuff, thanks for the info! Big Halo fans here 🙂

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hey Tom, thanks for the info. The plugin is the official Facebook plugin, the author is Facebook and all that. It installs Facebook comments and has some other functions. Here’s a link to it: https://wordpress.org/plugins/facebook/

Is there a way for me to switch to the standard theme on a preview, so that it doesn’t affect the public site, without having to set up a test server or whatever?

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Jason,

Ok thanks for the information, I will look into this.

Unfortunately there is not a way of doing this. You can just change it over quickly, or set up a test site.

EDIT: After reading the reviews and seeing the 165 1 star ratings, it is not surprising this is happening on your site. It seems they are not updating anything and people are reporting it breaks the pagination. Others saying it is not a plugin, but a test of your insanity! To be honest, I recommend searching for an alternative as it seems like bad news!

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.