Home / Forums / ePix Support / Social icons glitch when pointing old domain

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
  • Robert Dorey
    Participant

I recently created a new WP website on a new domain while my previous website remained live at its original domain. My intention was to point the original domain toward the new domain when the new website was completely functional. Despite having the new website operating correctly a glitch occurred when I pointed the original domain… the social icons and bullets within the homepage slideshow all appear incorrectly. Please resolve this or provide me with the instructions to do so.

Robert Dorey
    Participant

FYI… the problem only occurs in FireFox. Not Chrome. The web host service also checked the server logs and could not find any server sided errors related to this. He says “Since the icons work in one browser, and not in the other, the issue is not related to server sided misconfiguration but most probably to some code incompatibilities.”

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

I have tested both of your sites and your new site works fine. The old one does not load the icons properly. It looks like the files are coming from your new site instead of being located on the old one so the font-awesome.css file is located at the new site instead of the old one so it cannot find the correct files hence why it is displaying funny looking icons.

The new site seems fine though.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Robert Dorey
    Participant

Yes well I will need to resolve this issue please. The bulk of my traffic comes from my old domain so that will be the first thing most people see if they’re running Firefox (which is a good percentage of traffic). I was told that creating a new domain and pointing my old domain would be the easiest way to transition to a WP site. I did not envision that the Theme would experience problems in the domain pointing (nor is this a known issue with your product). Thank you in advance.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Robert,

This is not a problem with the theme at all, it is an issue with WordPress. You cannot cross over domains and mix them up to each other as it causes files to cross and not work as they should.

Please can you provide login details for both sites and I will try to figure out exactly what has happened here and try to help you out.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Robert Dorey
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I do not know what is up with your set up but as I cannot log into the http://www.picture-yourself-photography.com/ site, I cannot actually check out what is going on.

Do you have 2 sites running and have just changed the URL within the WP admin? This should be done within your server. If you want to redirect, http://www.picture-yourself-photography.com to your new site, you need to do this within your server/domain register. When you go to picture-yourself-photography.com, you should get redirected straight away to your new site. That is how a domain forwarder works. I recommend contacting your host/domain register to get this set up correctly server side.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.