Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Some Blog posts not appearing in Shortcode galleries or recent posts

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • Matt Wrycraft
    Participant

Hiya,

I have a weird one that is driving me nuts! When I create postgallery_slider or recent_posts shortcodes on my homepage, the most recent posts in my blog do not appear, but olders ones do.  I've tried comparing the pages (doublechecking that I've selected the correct category, and that it's in a published state etc etc) and can see nothing wrong with the posts.  I've created a test post with basic text in it, but it makes no difference.

The new posts (inc my test post) all appear fine on the blog page itself and in a recent posts sidebar widget.  The problem just seems to be the selecton via a shortcode. 

I'm using WP3.3 and DynamiX 2.8.7 (it's worth noting that I updated to 2.8.7 today and it made no difference to the behaviour).  

I'm running a local install (MAMP) currently so I can't point you at a test site. 

Any ideas?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

Does the shortcode contain the setting to order by Date? So it should have sortby="date"

Matt Wrycraft
    Participant

Hiya

Yes, I've tried the various options (order/sort/categories etc).  Here is what I'm using at the moment.  

postgallery_slider content="textimage" lightbox="yes" categories="General News,In The Media,On The Web,Tour News" undefined id="0" sortby="date" orderby="DESC" limit="6"  timeout="6"/

I wonder if the upgrade to wp3.3 has changed the format of post data/fields, and the shortcode isn't selecting posts added since 3.3? 

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Matt,

I've tested on the demo site and it's working for me, there hasn't been any other reports of it either. 

What do you have on the screen along with the gallery?

Matt Wrycraft
    Participant

Hi Andy

Nothing really.  I've just created a new page, with just the following shortcode on it:

postgallery_slider content="textimage"  categories="Emptyspiral News,General News,In The Media,On The Web,Tour News" undefined id="0"     sortby="date" orderby="DESC" limit="6"  /

Again, the most recent posts in (which are in the General news category) just don't appear. I've also just created a test post and that doesn't appear either.  I'll do some more testing but I'm kinda stumped :/

Matt Wrycraft
    Participant

OK… It's something to do with the categories.  After some testing it looks like new items in the 'General News' category were not appearing, but if I changed a post to another category it would appear.

I closely examined the General News category and noticed a couple of things.  Firstly the 'slug' was 'general' and so I changed it to 'general-news' secondly that category is the 'default' post category in general WP settings. I changed that to 'uncategorized'.  

It's now working. 🙂

Thoughts?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

The slugs do have to match the name in some way – I know something regarding this has changed over the past few revisions of WordPress as I do not remember it being so reliant on the slug matching the name. 

I'll look into it further but I guess it works to a degree because the slugs are supposed to match the name (though no idea what's going on with uncategorized). 

Matt Wrycraft
    Participant

Thanks. 

I'll be wary of the category names and category slugs in future.  I can only assume that at some point I must have updated the general category name and the slug didn't get updated somehow.

Something to be aware of I guess! 🙂 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.