Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Theme upgraded to v3.0 via envato plugin – issues

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
  • ANS Studios
    Participant

Hi,

I followed the instructions for upgrading the theme via the Envato plugin, and opted to make a backup of the old version just in case. Upon upgrading the theme (which was a successful process) I found that the site was essentially completely “broken” in the sense that elements were rendered all over the place and shortcodes seem to have been broken as well.

First, I’d like to ask if there is a conceivable way to maintain how our sites looked before the upgrade when moving onto the new version. I worked for a long time making the old site exactly how I wanted, and it looks nothing like it did, now with the upgrade. Second, how can I go about reverting to my old version? At this point, I would like to be 100% sure I haven’t lost all that work and I will wait for more details on upgrading the theme properly so as to maintain all the elements present in the old version.

James Wright
    Participant

Ha – you have the same question I had ANS Studios.  I know they’ll answer your question but just to put your mind at ease, you haven’t lost anything.  Here’s what I did…

1)  Deleted the upgraded theme by activating any other theme on my site — then deleted the Dynamix upgraded theme

2) Re-uploaded the old theme (I still had the file on my hard-drive – hoping you still have it as well)

3) Re-activated the old theme

4) I had to re-add my widgets in their proper place (not re-do them but put the widgets back in the sidebar 1 & in the drop down panel section) – but all of my content is there & looks like it does before I did the upgrade…

James

James Wright
    Participant

Tom replied to my question stating “It’s not possible to run them at the same time, your best bet would be to duplicate your current site onto a test server and work on it from there. Or have a maintenance plugin while running the changes.” —

So I will probably do just that — create a test site & duplicate my current content onto a test server & re-do everything from there before making it live…

James

http://JamesWantsToKnowYou.com

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I had a quick look at your site and the main issue is the menu – Ensure that you have reselected your menu, Appearance -> Menus -> Theme location. This should sort your menus.

Secondly, on the home page, the heights need to be adjusted on the gallery and bottom columns.

I think the reason why you have lost your sidebars and footer widgets is because the previous theme version was in a different directory?

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Tom

ANS Studios
    Participant

Thanks so much for the quick replies, gentlemen. @James I appreciate that info on how to revert to the previous theme version and create a test site to make changes to the new version with. That should suffice.

@Tom I adjusted the menu for the site, it looks fine – just needs some CSS tweaks. As far as I know the new theme version was installed into the same directory on the site, which is simply the root. There were no additional directories i.e. site.com/folder/ other than those associated with WordPress i.e. /wp-content/ – I could be mistaken but like James said, the widgets are still present with the information within each one, they just need to be placed back into the correct sidebars/widget columns.

I apologize if I prematurely posted this thread, because I checked out the new documentation outlining how to convert old shortcodes into newly proper versions by using the visual composer converter. This seems to have worked fairly well, but strangely the popup that asks me to convert the old shortcodes does not seem to disappear or show any progress. It appears that it worked, judging by how my home page has organized into proper columns again. It was just strange that this was not confirmed by having that window disappear upon completion.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

If you get stuck in a loop of converting the page, you may have to break it down and re-introduce bit by bit. It’s unfortunately not an exact science and sometimes can get a little confused.

ANS Studios
    Participant

I understand, and thanks for the response. In fact, this problem has resolved itself, and it seems that it is completing the conversion process. It still requires a bit of manual adjusting, but with the help of your screencast showing how to convert old shortcodes to the new visual composer, I’m making progress.

In general, the new screencasts have been immensely helpful in clarifying the changes associated with this upgrade. I can tell already that this new interface is going to be much more user-friendly and intuitive, even if it takes a bit of getting used to. The new version also feels so good on the front end – you did a fantastic job with additional features and adding responsive design. This is far and above the best wordpress theme I’ve used to date.

I would like to make a suggestion, however. I have decided to keep the old version of DynamiX active on the live version of my website for the time being, while I work on transferring all the shortcodes and specific design elements to the new version on another domain (I’m using it as a test site). It was no problem to get this started, as I simply uploaded the theme to my wordpress installation on the additional site as I would normally. My concern has to do with when it is time to transfer the completed test site back to the original domain (the one that is temporarily maintaining the old version of DynamiX). It would be really great if you could provide some documentation on how to implement this strategy, as it will surely help a lot of users who want to keep their work up to this point while they make the necessary adjustments in v3.x.

Specific concerns include: transferring the v3.x version of my website to the original domain intact; maintaining link and file name structures during the transfer process; transferring elements such as slide sets, widgets, and sidebars intact and ideally in their proper places.

For me, using a test site is necessary because the current version of DynamiX used on the live site (http://ansstudio.com) comprises a robust website with lots of pages, posts, and other content that, when upgrading the theme to the new version, are not kept intact and require a hefty amount of manual readjustment to get back to the original design and structure. I know this is also a situation other users are in, so some documentation or a screencast outlining the process would be greatly appreciated.

Truly excellent work on the upgrade – Cheers!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi ANS,

I’ll have to have a think of what I can do to help and what process could be used. It’s very dependent on the setup of the Theme, I’ve converted a couple of sites with existing pages, I just had to create a few extra line breaks etc and they were fine. It’s not essential to convert all pages to the new Visual Composer, as the screencast suggests, but I can see why you would want to for future use.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.