Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Trouble configuring mobile theme with Dynamix

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
  • Jason Bakker
    Participant

Hi, this isn’t exactly just Dynamix related, but I can’t find help anywhere else. I use Dynamix as my main desktop theme, and I recently bought another themeforest theme to use for mobile, mobitheme. (http://themeforest.net/item/mobitheme-wordpress-theme-for-mobile-devices/123198)

It says in the FAQ to use the WordPress mobile pack and then use the switcher to select mobitheme as your mobile theme, so that Dynamix shows as desktop and mobitheme shows as mobile. I’ve got that working, but I can’t find and way to mess with the settings of mobitheme- it’s mentioned that there’s a menu to select color, upload a header, and generally tweak things- it looks like crap at the moment and I really need to figure out how to configure it. The author has been unresponsive for over a week and a half, and Envato won’t give me a refund. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Hi Jason,

unfortunately we can not provide support for third party plugins or themes.

But I strongly believe that you have to switch to the mobile theme first via going to Design -> Themes & activating the mobile theme.

And then you should be able to setup up everything you want. When it is ready switch again to DynamiX.

Hope this helps. 😉

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! Won’t switching to the mobile theme make it show as my desktop theme though?  I don’t want my site to look all weird and ugly to my readers while I’m trying to get the mobile theme working.

This is one of the downsides using a mobile theme.

According to their ‘Item Details’ description:

mobiTheme is a mobile theme for WordPress. It can be used either as a standalone blog OR in conjuction with one of the many plugins that offer theme switching according to the users platform (See FAQ ’s for more info).

which states:

How can i use this with an existing theme so that it can auto-detect the users’ device ?

I use the WordPress Mobile Pack plugin and it works seamlessly.

Just install the plugin and upload the dotMobi theme to your /themes directory as you would normally. Then select the theme to serve to mobile users via the “Mobile Switcher” settings found under the appearance tab.

So to your questions:

Yes, switching to your mobile theme makes it show as your desktop theme. But if you do not switch you can not edit/setup your mobile theme.

So your procedure would be to always go first into ‘maintenance mode’ on your site and then switch to your mobile theme, do your edits & finally reactivate your desktop theme (while loosing all your widgets-configuration and your menu-configuration if I remember correctly).

So if you want to care about your mobile users always prefer a responsive solution or at least a plugin based solution like ‘WPtouch Pro’.

Hope this helps. 😉

Jason Bakker
    Participant

Thanks again! I have been using WPTouch, I was thinking about using WPTouch Pro but I decided to buy mobitheme instead. I will try doing maintenance mode and adjusting the settings. It’s just kind of confusing, as mobitheme’s site says that there is a settings menu but when I enabled it I didn’t see anything…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.