Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Two Issues With Menu

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
  • mld1000
    Participant

I have the following two issues:

I cannot add any more items to my menu. Each attempt results in the last item being deleted and the check in the Main Navigation box being removed thus turning off the menu on the pages.

Is there a way to reduce the vertical padding between menu items or break a long column into to two columns. Obviously I have a column that is too long for shorter screens.

Advice?

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

That’s a rare issue, how many menu items do you have? There is only one thing that I’ve seen affect the menu like that and it’s what is called a suhosin value, you would have to ask your hosting to increase this value for the menu to add more.

You can decrease the spacing between the menus by adding the following to Appearance > Theme Options > Customize > Custom CSS:

#header #nv-tabs a {
        padding: 15px 10px;
    }

#heade #nv-tabs ul li.hasdropmenu a {
        padding-right: 30px;
    }

mld1000
    Participant

Andy,

The first piece of code worked fine for vertical padding. The second had an ‘r’ missing from ‘header. I assumed it would narrow the spacing between columns, but it didn’t seem to do that.

As to the suhosin value, my provider didn’t seem to know what to do with it. Here is the code from the php.ini file:

[suhosin]
    ; extension = suhosin.so
    suhosin.executor.include.max_traversal = 4
    suhosin.executor.disable_emodifier = 0
    suhosin.executor.include.whitelist = “http://,https://,file://,bfa://
    suhosin.executor.allow_symlink = 0
    suhosin.mail.protect = 1
    suhosin.upload.disallow_elf = 1
    suhosin.log.syslog = 511
    suhosin.log.syslog.facility = 8
    suhosin.log.syslog.priority = 1
    suhosin.log.sapi = 511
    suhosin.session.encrypt = 0
    suhosin.cookie.cryptua = 0
    suhosin.session.cryptdocroot = 0
    suhosin.cookie.cryptdocroot = 0
    suhosin.executor.include.whitelist=”phar”
    suhosin.get.max_value_length = 10240
    suhosin.request.max_array_index_length = 10240
    suhosin.get.max_array_index_length = 10240
    suhosin.post.max_array_index_length = 10240
    memory_limit = 128M

All of the values currently at 10240 were at 512, but this did nothing to correct the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

Can you post your WP login details, I’ll take a look at what’s going on.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Ignore that, I’ve found them in your other post.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

I’ve just tried adding another menu item and it worked fine, it saved the menu and the item appeared on the front end. Are you still experiencing issues with this?

The other thing to try is to increase the wordpress memory – see there wordpress guide here.

mld1000
    Participant

Andy,

My provider responded to a trouble ticket I opened with the following:

“I’d like to inform you that I have checked your domain and was able to find out that its PHP version has been upgraded to 5.5.30. I have disabled suhosin through php.ini file from my side as it usually fixes such kind of issues. Micheal, please recheck your WordPress now and if the issue still persists, please provide us with exact step-by-step instruction (including admin credentials, error screenshots and any possible additional details) so that we could be able to reproduce the issue from our side in order to investigate it further.”

This action resulted in the menu taking 3-4 more items and then displaying the same behavior.

For example, if I try to add all seven ‘ATV’ categories at the bottom of the menu, when I save the menu, the last two are deleted and the Main Navigation box is unchecked.

mld1000
    Participant

Andy,

You were right in your initial assessment. It was the suhosin settings according to my host.

“I found that the problems you have faced with was related to the suhosin “post.max_vars” and “request.max_vars” values.”

It’s working fine now. Thanks for your help!

Mike

Rickware
    Participant

I performed my updates, and when I add/enable your version of Visual Composer, it breaks the site. Enclosed is the error, at this point I have to disable that js_ plugin.

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 26519 bytes) in /home2/ricklape/public_html/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/vendors/plugins/class-vc-vendor-woocommerce.php on line 1059

Rickware
    Participant

I had to put my site into Maintenance mode, because without this plugin working it looks terrible.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

@rickware – The version included with the theme is the latest version of Visual Composer – just to confirm, you’ve updated the plugin via this method here. Please also see this wordpress guide for increasing the WordPress memory.

Rickware
    Participant

Yes I did update as per that procedure. I updated the memory to the following value and it appears to have solved the problem.

/** Add additional Memory */
    define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );

Is the value of 512MB too high? Should I reduce it to 300MB? Thoughts? What is the impact of 512MB?

Original Error:
    Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 268435456 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 26627 bytes) in /home2/ricklape/public_html/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/include/classes/vendors/plugins/class-vc-vendor-woocommerce.php on line 1059

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi,

There’s no impact, 512MB is fine to have, typically it’s set to around 96MB, but it depends on your setup.

mld1000
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I’mtrying to reduce the spacing between top level menu items. This CSS only seems to move the down arrow closer to the menu item:

#heade #nv-tabs ul li.hasdropmenu a {
    padding-right: 30px;
    }

How would I reduce the actual spacing?

Thanks,

Mike

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

It would be this CSS instead:

#primary-wrapper #header #nv-tabs ul li a {
    padding: 10px;
    }

#primary-wrapper #header #nv-tabs ul li.hasdropmenu a {
    padding-right: 20px;
    }
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.