Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Using a 2nd custom menu as main navigation on certain pages!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
  • IconicD
    Participant

I have created 2 custom menus (menu A and menu B) I wish to use as the top menu navigation on my site.

I have already enabled custom menus and now have Menu A showing up as the main navigation throughout the site.  However, I wish to use Menu B as the top menu navigation on certain pages.

I believe that I'll need to create a new page template which calls for custom Menu B and select that template for those pages.  Any ideas what code I would need to put the template in to call Menu B or if there's a simpler way to achieve this?

Cheers,

Paul

keyhanjun
    Participant

Interesting question! 😉

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

The only way I can see this working is if you edit the header.php and when viewing specific pages it calls a different menu id. Do you know what specific pages you want the menu on? 

It's unfortunately a bit of a manual method but it would work. 

Dale Brown
    Participant

Wow a major need of mine too that I did not verify was an option before I got started. OUCH.. Did anyone figure out a good workaround?

Dale

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Dale,

What exactly do you need – a different menu on selected pages?

slgroup
    Participant

I would like a menu in a left column in a specific page

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi, you could assign a  Custom Menu widget to the Appearance -> Widgets -> Sidebar and then select that sidebar for that page only?

Chris Alford
    Participant

Would also like to know how I can have a different custom menu for certain pages, I have a membership area of my site and it would great to have a different main menu

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

It looks like this plugin may help – http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-page-menus/

Kimberly
    Participant

I am trying to use a custom 2nd menu too. I have WP-Members plugin and there is a tut for TwentyTen Theme. He says to replace

<?php wp_nav_menu( array( ‘container_class’ =>; ‘menu-header’, ‘theme_location’ => ‘primary’ ) ); ?>

with

<?php
    if( is_user_logged_in() ) {
    $menu = ‘logged-in’;
    } else {
    $menu = ‘logged-out’;
    }
    wp_nav_menu( array( ‘menu’ => $menu, ‘container_class’ => ‘menu-header’, ‘theme_location’ => ‘primary’ ) );
    ?>;

I did something wrong when I tried to sort it out for this theme…any suggestions please? It’s in header.php but not sure what to change:

<?php if(get_option(‘wpcustomm_enable’)==”enable”) { // WP3.0 Custom Menu Support

$walker = new dyn_walker;

wp_nav_menu(array(‘echo’ => true,’container’ => ‘ul’,’menu_id’ => ‘dyndropmenu’,’theme_location’ => ‘mainnav’,’walker’ => $walker ));
    ?>
    <?php } else { ?>

Complete noob here ; may not even have included all the right code – thanks for any input. Will check out the plugin too.

Kimberly

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly,

Did this plugin not help?

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-page-menus/

Kimberly
    Participant

Hello,

The developer of WP-Members plugin is going to configure it, thanks.

Dale Brown
    Participant

Wow a major need of mine too that I did not verify was an option before I got started. OUCH.. Did anyone figure out a good workaround?

Dale

Hmmm I must have been really tired when I wrote this because I have no idea what I was talking about either. 🙂 Sorry..

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.