Home / Forums / ePix Support / Using full screen revolutionary slider on home page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
  • Chris Pigas
    Participant

Hello,

Can you please give me some direction on how to use a full screen revolutionary slider on the home page? I understand I have to add it as a gallery but the gallery data source options don’t show the specific slider. I can add it with a shortcode but the slider is not displayed in full screen on the page.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Yes this is possible to do. If you add in the shortcode for Rev slider or choose it from the Visual Composer element it should work. Go into Rev slider settings and set it to full width and force full width ON. Set no opacity on sidebar of your skin and set the page to wide page within the Page Config on the page. This should then display full width.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Chris Pigas
    Participant

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the swift reply. A clarification please: when you say ‘the opacity of sidebar’, do you mean the main menu? The only option to set sidebar opacity in the theme customisation options is the menu sidebar. Does that mean that the menu has to be opaque in order to use a revolution slider? Or have I missed something?

Thanks,
    Chris

Chris Pigas
    Participant

I should probably also mention that the revolution slider does fill the width of the page. The problem is that I can’t get rid of the ‘Home’ header and the footer. I can hide the footer on the page options but is there an option to hide the header on the home page only? Sorry for any confusion.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

If you set the opacity of the sidebar is transparent, then you would see the slider through it. I was mentioning that it should not be set to transparent so you can still see it over the slider.

Try typing in BLANK into the alternative page title within Page config of the page. This should remove the title.
    Edit the row that the shortcode is in, and add no-margin-top to the extra CSS class.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Chris Pigas
    Participant

Hey Tom,

First thanks for the BLANK solution. It was looking at me in the eye but I missed it. 🙂

The slider though, is still giving me a headache. The no-margin-top didn’t help. I thought it was because the height was on auto and the width was on 100% but that is not the problem.

Looking at the contents using Chrome it looks like the Revolution Slider divs are all covering fully their respective areas as expected but the wrapper that contains the Revolution Slider has some space top and bottom. It’s around 20 pixels top and 60 pixels bottom (It’s actually worse on Firefox as the prompt to edit the page contents is right at the bottom uncovered area). Using negative margins for top and bottom did the trick for Chrome, however it’s still wrong on Firefox, IE and Safari and most importantly it’s random absolute values in a slider that is supposed to cover the existing browser client area (not to mention the vertical scroll bar that appears).

The slider manager works fine, but lacks advanced facilities for layers and advanced animation tricks, so it’s out of the question.

I am running out of ideas here to be honest. The site’s address is http://thestorypouch.com if you want to have a look. Unfortunately I don’t have permission from the owner to give out login details.

Thanks,
    Chris

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

The revolution slider should function as normal when inserted. It looks like you have a couple of errors on your page to do with bootstrap.css though.

Without the login details, I cannot really help much as the animation etc is working on my test site.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Chris Pigas
    Participant

Hello,

I would like to share my solution for this problem and I would also like to make a request/suggestion for the future versions of this brilliant theme. Before I present this solution I want to recap the problem I was facing:

I created an empty Home page, created a full-screen Revolution Slider and added the slider with a short code, only to find that the home page was not displaying full screen. The problem was that the theme treated the page as having content and instead of trying to hide the content it simply created the content wrapper and placed the slider in it. Because the slider was set as full screen it would take the height of the browser client space making the page scrollable as the page content was visible behind it. To verify this I turned off the full width in the page configuration and the blank contents were visible at the top and bottom of the slider.

Looking at the theme code it seems that it only hides the page content if the full-screen gallery has been requested, but obviously because the full screen gallery has no data source for a Revolution Slider it didn’t try to hide the content.

In order to solve this problem I had to add an empty full screen gallery to the Home page (i.e. leaving the data source empty) and make the following modification to the file “ePix/lib/inc/gallery-stage.php” after line 99:

if( $NV_pagetitle == “BLANK” )
    {
    putRevSlider(“homepageslider”);
    }
    else
    {
    echo ‘‘;
    }

The above code correctly places the the Revolution Slider inside the main wrapper of the home page, which is acting as full screen because of the Gallery choice (and thus it’s hiding the content). I understand that this is a cheap hack, which also carries the problem of potentially getting lost when I apply a theme upgrade, so I suspect there may be a better solution (albeit one I could not find).

This brings me to my suggestion. It seems that you have removed the option to add a Revolution Slider as a data source for a Gallery and this is a pity because this specific plugin is so powerful. My request/suggestion is that you add back the Revolution slider as a direct data source for the Gallery.

Kind regards,
    Chris

Chris Pigas
    Participant

Please note the the code above inside the “else” statement is incorrectly formatted by the html editor of the post. The contents inside the echo statement are the original the file had.

Thanks,
    Chris

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will suggest this to Andy.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.