Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / WordPress 4.5 / Dynamix 5.3 / Visual Composer 4.11.2

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Posts

  • Gareth Chapman
    Participant

    I suspect some combination of the above is causing INCONSISTENT problems with my front page – http://knaresborough.co.uk. On Windows 10, Android tablet & phone things seem OK – on iPad & iPhone, the lazy load post grid on this page USUALLY (but not always) fails to load, leaving the three white dots of despair. Can anyone suggest what’s going on? Many thanks.

    I’m not sure if this is related – Developer tools shows Google Font errors as follows:
    “Error (400): Missing font family
    The requested font families are not available.
    Requested: Oswald (style: normal, weight: 600)
    For reference, see the Google Fonts API documentation”

    I am not using Oswald in my site as far as I know!
    Also:
    GET “http://knaresborough.co.uk/wp-content/plugins/js_composer/assets/lib/bower/font-awesome/fonts/fontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.5.0” seems to be flagged as a problem.


    Gareth Chapman
    Participant

    Update – WordPress 4.5 / Dynamix 5.3 / Visual Composer 4.11.2 – plus I have now updated Slider Revolution to version 5.2.5 just in case that’s significant. All other plugins are latest versions too. IPad still not responding! Anyone have any thought?

    (The Oswald font issue was solved by selecting in Slider Revolution the slide containing the Oswald font and re-selecting the font then saving.)

    Hi @grtc23

    Can you please send us a screenshot of the issue as I do not have an iPad handy to test it. If you are using a caching plugin, have you tried to clear all your old server cache? Also, have you tried to disable all your plugins, leaving Visual Composer enabled, and check if the issue has been fixed?

    Testing the site here, http://mobiletest.me/ipad_mini_emulator/?u=http://knaresborough.co.uk/ , I do not see any issue with the site.

    Thanks!


    Gareth Chapman
    Participant

    Yes – I’m using Responsinator (http://www.responsinator.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fknaresborough.co.uk%2F) and can’t replicate the problem on that either. I have cleared all caches and I still have inconsistent misses on the iPad and other visitors emailing me with the same problem on their PCs – ie the page shows non-stop white loading dots then not the Post Masonry Grid that should be appearing.
    Oddly, the problem seems to be limited to the front page. If I set up a copy of the front page and visit it, it works fine. If I set that page as the front page it doesn’t.
    Also, I have discovered that if I visit a successful Post Masonry Grid on another page then return to the front page, the grid shows normally for an hour or two then refuses to load again.
    Is it possible that WordPress 4.5.1 release will affect any of this?
    Any thoughts gratefully received!
    Screenshot

    Hi @grtc23

    The homepage is image-heavy, so it is likely the your server not able to take the load of the site, and that is causing the loading issue.

    Here is the result of the test I did : http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/c2pYVR/http://knaresborough.co.uk/

    The site has a pagesize of 10MB, 8MB of which is attributed to images on your site. For the site load time to improve, the images must be minimized and optimized. Once the site’s pagesize is reduced, then you can check if the issue is fixed.

    Another option is to check what your server’s current PHP memory limit is. If it is set to around 8MB-32MB, it will be best to increase it as the site pagesize is large, and loading it each time will create a lot of stress on the server.

    Thanks!


    Gareth Chapman
    Participant

    Many thanks for your reply – REALLY appreciated.

    I have looked at the memory which says: PHP Version : 5.6.16 / 32Bit OS, Memory limit : 128 MB, Memory usage : 32.87 MB which looks OK?

    I have looked at the Website Speed test and reduced a few images to make improvements but I don’t think that gets to the essence of the problem.

    I have made an identical copy of the front page called http://knaresborough.co.uk/news-events-2/ which loads first time no problem. The problem is when it is set as the Front Page and only then. Visiting the copy followed by the actual front page enables the front page to load. In other words – it is because it’s the front page as the site opens that there’s a problem.

    Anyone any further thoughts?

    I did another test and the site’s pagesize is still pretty huge as seen here: http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/en712Y/http://knaresborough.co.uk/

    It is possible that there are ‘autoloaded’ options being loaded when the homepage is called, creating more stress to the server when the images are being loaded. It is best to coordinate with your hosting provider regarding this as this needs to be looked into further. If you have SSH access to the site, check the PHP error and Access logs and check how everything looks when the homepage is loaded.

    It is likely that there is a spike on the usage, but we can’t really tell since we do not have access to the server. The only way to isolate the issue further would be via the server logs.

    Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.