Home / Forums / DynamiX Support / Wrong automatic excerpt extraction

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
  • Thanatermesis
    Participant

If you write news (posts) that is made with the visual editor, they seems to be ignored in the excerpt, so it generates a listing of news that doesn’t contains the excerpt correctly, see my real example:
    http://www.elivecd.org/news/releases/beta/ this page contains the last entries of this category, as you can see if you click in any of these news, until the line “This version includes some misc features like:” it is made with plain html, and correctly indexed in the excerpt of the page listing, but NOT what is after this line (every entries for example, which uses the shortcodes of the visual editor/dynamix), and then again, it is listed what is “plain html” like “We appreciate your feedbacks”, in fact it skips entirely the only important information that should be included in the excerpt.

Thanks

Nick Zakula
    Participant

Hello Thanatermesis,

I last week updated my blogs to the current versions of WP and Dynamix and bumped into this little problem right off.

First the problem is the basic WP excerpt setting is set to ignore anything within shortcodes. You can change that by going to Settings/Excerpt and unchecking the option to ignore shortcodes. Now your post content should be excerpting from the top of the post as I think you are looking for.

The downside is anything you have in shortcodes near the top of the post where it would fall within the “excerpt” section is now going to show up in the excerpt including images. So you will need to structure the beginning of your post content carefully to not have anything show up within the excerpt that you don’t want to appear.

For Andy or others,
    This is obviously not an ideal situation. Visual Composer puts everything within shortcodes, so anything designed within Visual Composer will not show up within an excerpt on the default setting. Yet having everything in shortcodes show up in an excerpt is annoying also.

One thing I see on the updated version of dynamix is there is a place in the settings at the bottom to input custom excerpt content. The easiest fix from a usability standpoint would be to include the same for actual posts, not just pages, and any content within that field would overwrite the default excerpt, if it is left blank, then the default excerpt would appear.

Thanatermesis
    Participant

Aaah, thank you Nick, I have just configured it on that way :), btw seems like we can also make it to ignore some tags, which is maybe what you mean by the downside, and there’s also an option enabled by default that says to ignore customized excerpts (lol)

I have configured it ignore the tags “h1, h2, h3, hr”, now it looks much better (we want simply/only contents, right?)

As a suggestion for dynamix, maybe it should include some “checkers” in the main config panel that will show notifications about suggestions like this one, where the user can click in “close” the suggestions after to read them, or even an entire new tab for all the checked/suggestion things as a “reference” or something

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

Glad you got things sorted, I will suggest things to Andy.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Thanatermesis
    Participant

BUG: ouch, this is very bad, I was turned almost crazy trying to found the reason of this problem:

My site started to show a page with an element (shortcode), duplicated, I played for hours trying to found the cause and It was the option “Strip Shortcodes: Remove shortcodes from the excerpt. (recommended)” from the Excerpt configurations, when it is enabled, it shows the content duplicated.

By other side the element which showed it was an own shortcode for an own plugin, I don’t know how much shortcodes makes this happen and if is a problem on dynamix or not, so can somebody confirm the same problem?

Thanks
    Thanatermesis

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I have not come across this issue with duplicating content from the Excerpt settings before. Do you have a link to the page with the problem on and login details so we can take a look into this please?

I am not sure what you mean by this? Do you mean the shortcode that was on the page was coming from another plugin? If so, which plugin was it?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.