Home Forums ePix Support Epix Theme problems on iPad

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Andy Nickerson
    Participant

Hi, I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a few problems I’m experiencing when my site http://www.andynickerson.com is viewed on an iPad.

Firstly on all other mobile/tablets when you rotate the screen to landscape format the full nav menu displays on the lefthand side instead of the button nav but for some reason it doesn’t auto rotate on an iPad and still leaves you with a mobile nav button, any ideas?

Also worryingly a couple of clients have witnessed there iPad rebooting when they click on the Up arrow (to return to the top of the page). Is this a random thing or a known issue? The iPad had the latest iOS by the way…

On a final note, how would I go about changing the mobile navigation button to my own design?

Many thanks for any ideas/help, Andy

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

1. Not too sure what you mean by this? I have just tested this on my iPad 2 and when flipped to landscape, the mobile menu still shows. Not the sidebar menu. It also rotates back to portrait fine. Is this what you mean?

2. Exactly which page is this happening on? I cannot replicate this on my iPad.

3. You can change the icon to your own but as this is not a standard theme option, you will need to customize it. You can edit this within the config-header.php file. Search for ‘<i class=”fa fa-bars fa-lg”></i>‘ and change out the icon code for your own. You can choose from a list of icons from Font Awesome here.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Andy Nickerson
    Participant

Hi Tom, cheers for your reply.

1. On my sons Nexus tablet, when you tilt the screen to landscape the mobile menu disappears and the sidebar menu appears. Is this not the case with an iPad?

2. On this page apparently: LINK

Thanks for the details on how to change the icon. One last note, can I remove the title from displaying in the Lightbox view?

Many thanks for your help, Andy

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

1. This does not happen on the iPad, it displays as it should with the correct menu still. If the screen resolution is much higher on the Nexus, turning it to landscape may make it such a high resolution that it does pick up the desktop version instead.

2. You have x30 1500px wide images all trying to load on a single page at the same time. This is why tablets and other devices will not be happy with this. Unfortunately it is just too much for a device to handle all at once so it crashed the device.
    Two things you could do here. Either reduce the image size to see if that helps or have less images on the page. It will be a case of trial and error with the tablets but they just don’t have enough processing power to handle this.

You will need to remove them using CSS, add the following code to Appearance > Theme Options > Customize > Custom CSS.

.fancybox-opened .fancybox-title {
    visibility: hidden !important;
    }

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Andy Nickerson
    Participant

Hi Dan,

That explains it! I’ve just created a separate Gallery for mobile devices with smaller file sizes and less images then created a new Mobile specific menu. Works a treat now and still means I get to have nice big images for desktops. Massive thanks for all your help and the custom CSS worked perfectly too!

Thanks again, Andy

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

Thats great, thank you for coming back to us.

If you are happy with the theme, please take a second to rate the theme 5 stars here.

Much appreciated 🙂

Andy Nickerson
    Participant

Hi Dan,

No worries I’ve happily given the theme a 5* review…

However I think I celebrated a bit prematurely as I’ve just tested it on a friends retina iPad and found the following problems:

1. For some bizarre reason it shows the mobile menu etc but when you click on the gallery tab it takes you to the full size gallery that is meant only for desk top devices? I’ve now changed the full sized gallery back to a grid style gallery as a temporary fix but ideally wanted it as a stage or full screen on desktop devices…
    2. Most worrying is that on a page such as: when you get to the bottom of the page then scroll up fast, it crashes safari or worse the whole iPad.

Sorry to be a pain…

Thanks Andy

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Andy,

I’m not sure who Dan is 😉

1. That’s strange about the menu – try this, edit ePix/stylesheets/responsive.css

Search for:

@media only screen and (max-width: 767px) {

change to:

@media only screen and (max-width: 768px) {

2. Annoyingly iPad and other tablets do not seem to like transparent backgrounds very much. For some reason it consumes a lot of memory. If it’s a real issue, you have two options:

1. Make it non transparent.
    2. Replace the colour with a semi-transparent dark grey background .PNG image ( I can give you the CSS ) and see what that does?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Acoda