Home Forums ePix Support fit_width/fit_height not working in gallery

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Paul Guba
    Participant

I have created a gallery that contains both horizontal and vertical images. All the images can fit into a 450px square. Vertical images display fine however horizontal images are being force to 450 height and sides cropped. If I apply the fit_width class either directly to images in slider or to gallery itself no change occurs.

Second question: There seems to be no search feature for this forum that I can find. Is that correct?

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

1. Exactly which gallery are you using? Have you just set a height on the gallery instead of a width as well?

2. There is a search bar at the top right of each page on the site, highlighted in orange. No worries, it is easy to miss.

Thanks,
    Tom

Paul Guba
    Participant

It would be the carousal gallery. I have tried setting either the height or width doesn’t not seem to make a difference. I have tried both on the image in slider or gallery set up. Have also tried setting height and width of the gallery. Nothing I have done makes any difference.

Paul Guba
    Participant

Still not working.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

You can’t set a height or width for the carousel slider as it can only work from a ratio.

These ratios are 16:9, 4:3, 1:1, 9:16, 3:4, 3:2 and 2:3.

The fit_height and fit_width CSS classes are only for the fullscreen slider as well.

The height and width fields were left in by accident, they will be removed in the next update which is coming soon. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Guba
    Participant

You might also want to take down the tutorial that was left in by accident, I believe there is also something on your website. Sorry if I don’t double check as to where, I just spent several hours trying to solve your accident.

I would like to avoid future accidents. What galleries don’t crop my images randomly to fit a set ratio, I would like to include display of thumbnail images as well.

Just so we are clear as a photographer I spend a great deal of time creating images so it is important for me that they are displayed as I created them. I appreciate what you do as a creator of themes, however I want to decide what my images look like. So I don’t want my thumbnails cropped and I don’t want my images cropped. Is that possible?

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

It does say in the documentation that the CSS classes are only for the FullScreen slider but I will admit it is easy to miss. I will adjust this.

For the carousel gallery, you have to make sure your images are within the ratio that you specify for the gallery. This is the only gallery of it’s type with the ratio dimensions so if you get it right they will not crop your images.

Do you have an example that I can take a look at where the carousel slide is cropping your same ratio images?

Thanks,
    Tom

Paul Guba
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I am back to trying to find something workable with this theme. Basically what I want is the images to be fitted to the stage. So regardless of vertical or horizontal the images are shown in entirety. Everything I have tried either fits them vertically cropping sides of horizontal images or fits horizontally cropping vertical images. If I cannot do this then this theme really isn’t appropriate for photography. So far none of the galleries I have tried seem to do this. If it can’t be done let me know. If you check my other site http://www.paulgubaphoto.com you can see what I am after. However that site is not responsive which is why I purchased your theme.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

The plugin or gallery that you are using, which is not a standard theme gallery, has a manual width set so it is not responsive. The theme is fully responsive, but if you add a 3rd party plugin which isn’t the theme will adapt to the extra plugin.

The fixed height issue that you are referring to has been addressed and has been implemented into the next version of this theme. The update will hopefully be ready in the next few days.

To be alerted of updates to the theme, please go to ThemeForest > Downloads > ePix > Tick, subscribe to updates.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Guba
    Participant

Please read my earlier response. When I write “you can see what I am after. ” it is a visual reference. I never indicated that I wanted to use anything other then the theme. It was a visual reference only. Please don’t make this about something other than epix theme cropping images randomly and there not being a way to show the entire images. I will wait to see the update.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

Sorry about that. I thought you said that was your current site as it looked like ePix.

As mentioned above, the fixed height issue that you are referring to has been addressed and has been implemented into the next version of this theme. The update will hopefully be ready in the next few days.

To be alerted of updates to the theme, please go to ThemeForest > Downloads > ePix > Tick, subscribe to updates.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Paul Guba
    Participant

Well downloaded the update and finally had time to look at it. In a word not usable for me. I just don’t get the whole cropping of images but for me its a deal breaker. As a photographer I think there is a total lack of understanding of presentation of images. I wish I had know that before I purchased the theme as it appears to be a total waste for me. Seems to me all this work was spent making a cool theme and lost was the idea that it is supposed to be about showing imagery. I have a very cool theme but I am not selling themes I sell images and if I can’t show the images the way I created them then the theme is useless, which makes me very sad.

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

The only Galleries that are capable of truly presenting any image in Landscape or Portrait is the Full Screen Slider and the Grid Gallery. Stage can do it with a Gallery Height set.

I believe I can give you a workaround for the carousel slider. Please try adding this to Appearance > Customize > Custom CSS

#primary-wrapper .zoomflow .item.type-image .the-bg {background-size:contain;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-color:#fff;}

The slides themselves have to maintain the same size, however the above code will ensure the image fits within the slide. You can play around with the background-color to see what suits best. If you’re happy with this, I’ll add an option in for the next version.

Paul Guba
    Participant

Thanks Andy,

At this time I am calling it day for the Epix theme and am actively looking for other solutions. My conclusion is the Epix is a beautiful designed theme, it looks wonderful. In my case it fails to do what I want. Show my images the way I created them. I have already spent several days trying to do what I consider the most basic thing for a portfolio theme to accomplish. In that time spent I have accomplished nothing I am no closer to creating a usable gallery then the day it was installed. If I had known this basic thing was so difficult to accomplish with Epix I would have reconsidered my purchase. As a professional photographer its clear anything I do with Epix is going to be a compromised solution and that is not a good starting point when seeking potential clients.

Paul Guba
    http://www.paulgubaphoto.com
    http://www.paulguba.com

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Paul,

I can only apologize for the time you’ve spent on this. The theme has been used time and time again for Photography and as mentioned the Fullscreen Slider + Grid Gallery are the best method for displaying varied ratios.

If you do decide to give it another chance, I’ll be happy to help. I’ve just updated the theme with some extra features which help with Photography too. Like fit_contain class ( fits the image within the Fullscreen Slider, on any device ) and Lazy load, so you can select many Slide Sets together and only load them in when the user wants to ( vastly improves page load time ). See here for example.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Andy Andy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Acoda