Home Forums ePix Support Full-screen slider: clicking video starts play, but Youtube play button is dead.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Barry Kafka
    Participant

Hello,

As the subject line states, users can click anywhere on the video to begin play, except for the actual play button.

The play button changes color from grey to red when the video is hovered but you can’t click on it to begin play.

If play is paused the play button doesn’t return. You have to click around to get play to resume.

Also the slideshow advances even though the video is still running.

How can I fix this? I’ll include the URL in a hidden reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Barry

Barry Kafka
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barry,

I think you might have entered in the wrong URL for YouTube. If you are still having issues, please set your reply to private and provide your URL/login details so I can take a further look for you.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Barry Kafka
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barry,

What is happening here is that the slider cannot pull in an embedded video correctly from a post as it is getting confused over what to actually display.

For videos, I highly recommend using the Slide Set Manager as this handled videos much better and is much easier to manage. I create a test for you within the slide set manager so you can see how I have done this. Add in a Custom Media element (blue button) > Click the media tab and add in the YT URL > Select YouTube from the embed option and save. Select the slide set on the home page instead of post categories and test.

For more information on the slide set manager, please see the documentation here.

Hope this helps.
    Tom

Barry Kafka
    Participant

Hi Tom,

First of all thanks as always for your attention, I appreciate it.

I did try it with Slide Sets originally. I abandoned that method for two reasons, one of which might be relevant to other epix users.

Using Slide Sets to link to a blog post entails a duplication of effort. Slides are easy to create but their functionality seems to be limited to displaying a video and linking it to a URL. The blog post must then be created entirely separately. It is simpler and more efficient for my client to create a single blog post and let the post excerpt and other meta content automatically provide the slide content.

Another reason this approach won’t work for me (and correct me if I’m mistaken) is I need to display some custom content in the slide, including a written excerpt and a set of upvoting buttons. I don’t believe this is possible with a Slide Set slide without customization.

I was hoping the explanation for the non-functioning video button was that another page element had a higher z-index value. If this were indeed the case the fix might be a simple bit of custom CSS. But I was unable to identify either the play button element itself (because it’s contained within an iframe?) or the blocking element (Slider next/prev nav?)

If you have any additional thoughts on either approach I would like to hear them.

Side note, you inadvertently replaced the site’s live home page content with your test case. Unfortunately my client discovered it before I did! Somewhat alarming but I was able to revert to their content relatively quickly. I now realize I should have had you work on a dev site.

I’ll post back if changing the z-index of the slider nav fixes it. Thought I tried that but maybe not.

Best,

Barry

Barry Kafka
    Participant

OK I figured out what’s going on here.

The slider nav buttons are wrapped in divs with 100% height. My fix was to simply make them 50% height and position them 50% down on the page.

Alternately the wrappers would probably work if they were the size of the arrows and used appropriate values for positioning. I’ll go that route if my fix fails on other browsers.

I like full-height prev/next slider controls. I usually see them safely tucked away to each side of the page. In this theme the full-height wrappers are not themselves linked and they are bunched in the center, so they don’t serve any purpose. But it would be easy to make the links full-height and move them to the margins which is no doubt why they are set up this way.

Anyway here is the CSS I added to the Custom tab in Theme Options:

div.slidernav-left, div.slidernav-right {
    height:50% !important; top:50% !important;
    }

Barry Kafka
    Participant

better, wraps to 50px by 50px arrow icon:

div.slidernav-left, div.slidernav-right {
    height:50px !important; top:auto !important; bottom:0 !important;

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Barry,

Thank you for this, I will let Andy know.

Tom

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2018 Acoda