Home Forums ePix Support Support for Windows Phone 8?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hello,

I was testing the ePix theme on mobile devices and I noticed that the theme does not work on Windows Phone 8 properly. I checked both my website and your demo site. I tested on a Lumia 1020 and Lumia 920 (with caches cleared as well). On the other hand, the same websites look great on the iPhone, iPad and Android phones.

Below are some of my observations:
    – Fullscreen Gallery does not show the images in fullscreen.
    – Icons do not show up properly (menu icon, share icon, etc).
    – Drop down menus do not work (at least when I created a custom link “#” to display sub-menus).

I have placed screenshots in this folder – http://1drv.ms/1eybwY8
    My website – http://www.nikkystephen.com

When I researched, it looks like it is a common issue with other WordPress themes as well. In the below page, a user claims that he was able to fix this by adding some code in a text widget in the footer.
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/theme-does-not-work-well-in-windows-phone-8-lumia-920

I’m not too sure of the best way to get this done. Will this solution work? If yes, can this be included by default in your theme? If not, do you know of any other solution?

Thanks much!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

Unfortunately we cannot test this as we do not have access to a Windows mobile device. But try adding the following code to Javascript field under Appearance > Theme Options > Customize > Javascript.

<script>
    (function() {
    if ("-ms-user-select" in document.documentElement.style &&
    (navigator.userAgent.match(/IEMobile/) ||
    navigator.userAgent.match(/ZuneWP7/) ||
    navigator.userAgent.match(/WPDesktop/))) {
    var msViewportStyle = document.createElement("style");
    msViewportStyle.appendChild(
    document.createTextNode("@-ms-viewport{width:auto!important}")
    );
    document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0].appendChild(msViewportStyle);
    }
    })();
    </script>

Kind regards,
    Tom

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I added the code there, but unfortunately I do not see any difference when I checked on my Windows phone. 🙁 I cleared the browser history and checked on another Windows phone as well. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

It is extremely difficult for us to test as we do not have a phone and do not know anyone who owns one. The more information we can gather from you the more chance we have in solving this. Exactly which version of IE are the phones using?

Kind regards,
    Tom

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hi Tom,

I’ll be more than glad to help you resolve this. Windows Phone 8 phones currently use Internet Explorer Mobile 10. Do keep in mind that the Windows Phone 8.1 software update will be rolled out in the coming months and we are expecting IE Mobile 11 to be released with that.

Thanks!

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Wanted to add that there are still plenty of phones using Windows Phone 7.5 OS which uses IE Mobile 9.

To summarize:
    Windows Phone 7.5 – IE Mobile 9
    Windows Phone 8 – IE Mobile 10
    Windows Phone 8.1 – IE Mobile 11 (Coming soon)

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

That’s what is crazy, IE9 – IE11 works fine with the menu, there is something with the mobile version which is causing it. There do appear to be a few issues with the mobile version, I’m asking around my friends to see who has done.

What time zone are you on, maybe tomorrow or the next day I could make some changes on your site and see if that affects things.

I’ll need your FTP details first.

Nikky Stephen
    Participant
    This reply has been marked as private.
    Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

I’ve had to edit the ePix/js/nv-script.pack.js file and i’ve implemented an attribute which Microsoft recommends to add ( only Microsoft would have to make it more difficult ).

Clear the browser cache and let me know if that works?

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Did you want me to check my site or the ePix Demo site? I don’t see any difference on my site, however the demo site looks great now. The Full screen gallery is full screen, I can see the icons, the drop downs work, etc.

Screenshot from ePix.themeva.com – http://1drv.ms/1fFfbmD

Thanks!

Tom ( Support)
    Keymaster

Hi,

I will ask Andy about this again and get back to you ASAP.

Kind regards,
    Tom

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hi Andy,

Did you do any make any changes? I just checked yesterday and now the fullscreen gallery in my homepage is showing up in full screen (but zoomed in a little too much). But the icons are still missing.

Thanks!

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

I updated the javascript file – the links should work on the menu now. I’m really unsure why the icons aren’t showing. Can you confirm they’re not working on the demo site too? It’s the most standard way of loading the font awesome icons, I’m thinking the browser must have issues loading it for some reason. Are you using any caching, it maybe worth disabling it if you are?

Nikky Stephen
    Participant

Hi Andy,

I just deleted all history from my phone and checked again. Things look funky now. On my website, the Full Screen Gallery is now full screen but the icons are still not showing up. On your demo site, the Full Screen Gallery is now no longer full screen (it’s back to how it was originally) but the icons are showing up correctly.

(Click the links for screenshots)

Andy
    Andy
    Keymaster

Hi Nikky,

The links above do not work for me – they come up with an error on MS One Drive.

I’m using a caching plugin on the demo ( WP Super Cache ) – I think it’s having some affect, possibly why the icons are showing. It does appear to be a device issue. Every other machine / browser works absolutely fine and it shouldn’t be any different for IE Mobile.

When you click on another page ( once it’s loaded ), do the icons appear for you then?

I wish there was a way to test on IE mobile, however it’s near impossible without an actual device and I do not have access to one. Even browser stack doesn’t support IE mobile and that’s design to test all devices / browser versions. I’m running out of suggestions.

Have you tried a caching plugin?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2019 Acoda